PDA

View Full Version : Ididit NON tilt ?

70sfreak
01-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Just reading on the Ecklers site about the Ididit NON tilt column and they say "Non-tilt versions give you big guys more room to move." can anyone explain ?

70sfreak
01-21-2010, 06:01 PM
I'd better explain , is it because it's smaller than a tilt or is it nearer the dash ?

BigBoyzToyz
01-21-2010, 06:38 PM
The head unit of a non-tilt columm is shorter than the tilt version. I think about an inch and a half.

70sfreak
01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
The head unit of a non-tilt columm is shorter than the tilt version. I think about an inch and a half.

Thanks , so the steering wheel would be an inch and a half nearer to the dash then , think that would suit me a bit better than the tilt I have now . Just concidering as I am going from floor shift to column and need all the info . :) :tu

BigBoyzToyz
01-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Do they make a non-tilt for your specific car, in a columm shift?

70sfreak
01-22-2010, 04:58 PM
It seems so , ididit's web site show them and Danchuck list Ididit non tilt column shift for '55 with 605. I have an Ididit tilt for floor shift in my nomad with a B&M shifter that want to remove . Must admit the wheel does seem a bit too close to me even with the seat right back .

cpptech
01-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Ididit does both 55-56 and a 57' non tilt, column shift column.
I personally installed one in my 57' and it leaves alot more room when using a aftermarket, 9 hole steering wheel adapter found with most aftermarket wheels.

Chevynut
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Why would anyone buy a non-tilt aftermarket column instead of using their stock one? I guess I don't see any advantage.

Rick_L
01-22-2010, 06:50 PM
The combination of a tilt column and those thick adapters in a 57 is objectionable to a lot of guys. The steering wheel is just too close, especially if it has any dish to it.

At least with a 55-56 you can move the whole assembly a bit toward the dash. On a 55 with that done I still don't like the thick adapter. Fortunately for me I like an Impala or cut down stock wheel anyway, which doesn't require an adapeter.

70sfreak
01-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Why would anyone buy a non-tilt aftermarket column instead of using their stock one? I guess I don't see any advantage.

I'm not sure what a tilt column is for ?

Chevynut
01-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure what a tilt column is for ?

A tilt column allows you to adjust the steering wheel position to where it's most comfortable for you. Once set, I never touch it. I know some guys use the tilt to get in and out of their cars, but I don't have that "problem". :sign0020::party0031:

Rick_L
01-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm like you, I rarely change it in my vehicles, and don't to get in or out. I like it one notch higher than "straight" on most cars. I guess if you liked it down, you might have more need to raise it to get in and out.

"Why would anyone buy a non-tilt aftermarket column instead of using their stock one? I guess I don't see any advantage."

I wondered the same thing at first. A couple of reasons came to mind.
1. You want a chromed or polished one and would rather have a turnkey deal than to take it apart to chrome the pieces.
2. You want the later model flasher switch and the later model turn signal assembly design. Not sure this one is worth it.
3. You don't want tilt but you want to install a CPP500 or a rack, and don't care to modify the stocker or pay someone to.
4. You work for CPP or Ididit, and do it because you can. :happy0030:

Jim '57
01-22-2010, 09:03 PM
5. If it is missing from the car when you got it.
Jim