Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Steering Column Length

19K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Rick_L 
#1 ·
Planning to put either a ididit or flaming river tilt floor shift column in my 55 2 door post. Haven't decided if I want to go with a 28 or 30 inch. Will be using a full size 59 chevy steering wheel. Anybody been here?

#5 ·
I guess I should say why I did this and make a couple of comments.

First off, most of this is for 55-56 models. 57s are a bit different.

If you have a 605 or CPP500 box, with a 30" column you'll end up with the end of the cone about the same distance as the cone was with the stock column and stock steering box. But the cone and the tilt mechanism on the tilt column is much longer than the stock column. The result is that even with a stock steering wheel, it's going to be that much closer to you than the stock setup was. This may get even worse with some of the aftermarket steering wheels that have a 3" long adapter between the column and wheel.

By shortening the column to 28-1/2", you end up moving the steering wheel away from your body by that much, and the cone just barely clears the rubber trim piece on the instrument panel bezel (about 1/4").

If you had an aftermarket column and a stock steering box, the box is that much shorter and the 30" column would probably work out fine. Likewise it would work out OK with a rack and pinion.

With the 605 or the 500, the top side of the column is barely going to stick out of the firewall and the bottom side won't stick out at all. With the other setups it can stick out a bit, similar to the stock column.

Also, you don't have much latitude with a column shift column because of the above. The lever has to clear the firewall. And while it's easy to shorten a floor shift column yourself, it's not easy at all with the column shift.

With a 57, because of the way the instrument panel is shaped, you don't have as much latitude to move the column forward.

#6 ·
I special ordered a 2" shorter Ididit for my '55 Bel Air (w/ 500 box).
Turned out to fit perfect. The rubber trim just barely touches the cone. Any shorter would be too short.
I got it from RJay's.

#8 ·
Rick_L has documented how to cut a Flaming River yourself. However, I don't think you can do it with the Ididit.

Here's my Ididit (connected to 500 box) that is 2 inches shorter than their stock length. It is a special order and costs a little more.

#11 ·
#12 · (Edited)
It's really easy to shorten a floor shift Flaming River column. There are 3 dimples in the outer tube that hold the nylon bearing into the steering box end. Drill them out with a 3/32" or 1/8" drill. Then you can pry the nylon bearing out of the tube end. Next you can use a hacksaw to shorten the outer tube. The shaft is still in there so you have to work around it. Mark the cut with masking tape and keep the marking and cut square to the tube. Put the nylon bearing back in the outer tube and replicate the 3 dimples with a center punch. The shaft can be shortened in a horizontal band saw with everything assembled, or just use a hacksaw.

I shortened the shaft to where it only sticks out 1/16" from the bearing. You can do that any distance you want within reason.

I've never messed with an Ididit. I would have thought it's similar but I don't know. Maybe someone can say why it's more difficult if it is.

I'm sure you can shorten an FR or Ididit column shift column too, but you'll probably have to take it completely apart, and you may need to do some welding.

#13 ·
The Ididit has a hollow core round shaft and fits into a DD coupler. The last 1 1/2" or so of the shaft is a DD shape. If you cut the shaft shorter, I don't see how you could flatten the round shaft to fit the DD coupler. I'm sure Ididit has a special machine for this. Not a job for a normal person for sure. Not even sure an average machine shop could do it. Better to just order it shorter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.