PDA

View Full Version : Best dropped spindle choice?

born2drivea55
12-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi guys, lookin for some help on the best way to go as far as a set of 2" dropped spindles. I already bought Heidts upper and lower tubular control arms and coil-over shocks. My concern is the wheel mounting surface width. I dont want it to be too wide (dont want to run into any rubbing issues). I plan on running a 15" wheel also. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin

mickym521
12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I went with CPP dropped spindles along with disk brakes. Very happy with the sit up.

rodney@ridetech.com
12-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Heidt's offers a dropt spindle, if you want to keep the front all the same.

KAHLUA big block 56
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I went with CPP dropped spindles along with disk brakes. Very happy with the sit up.

Good to hear as I am about to go with the CPP "big brake" setup on the front. I have 18" wheels and need to go with 13" disc. Just read they are offering 10% off this month. :bowtieb::bowtieb:

hamsman
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
:) Good choice, CPP is a quality manufacturer of Tri-Five parts here in the USA.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

tahoe1955
12-13-2011, 07:41 PM
I went with all CPP and am very happy!

nunu
12-13-2011, 08:51 PM
:) Good choice, CPP is a quality manufacturer of Tri-Five parts here in the USA.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

Heidt's says they manufactuer their spindles in USA,
CPP sells imported spindles

Rick_L
12-13-2011, 09:53 PM
"Heidt's says they manufactuer their spindles in USA,
CPP sells imported spindles"

I'm not sure that carries the weight it once did.

CPP has their 500 steering box manufactured in Asia, and it has a good reputation. On sheet metal, the Gold Star pieces are sometimes better than the US made stuff, on other pieces it's pick the flaws you want to deal with (if you know).

The price leader spindle on the market is the McGaughy style (though others sell it now). I'm pretty sure it's made overseas, but its problems are in the design not manufacturing.

I'm curious whether the Earle Williams/TCI spindle is made overseas or not. Again maybe not a big factor, and the design seems to be good.

There's no doubt no matter how you want to compare, the Heidt's is the standard of the industry. And it has some options on brakes, and is supported by other brake manufacturers too. So it's the most versatile also.

Sandspanker
12-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I went with CPP. They should be here tomarrow.

midnightrider
12-13-2011, 11:48 PM
far as I know Earle Williams spindles are the only ones on the market that narrow the track width...by about 1/2". This will be extremely helpful when you select your disk brakes, since now if you can get a "0" offset kit then your net movement will be inward instead of outward.

hotrod4dr55
12-14-2011, 04:26 PM
My understanding is CCI's drop spindles are the same as Earle Williams & TCI. I bought a set years ago and they look identical, but I've never installed them to verify.

737Pilot
12-14-2011, 07:26 PM
I bought CPP's 2" drop spindle kit with the larger brakes for my 56. While everything "looks" nice, some of their stuff doesn't line up and you have to modify it yourself. In my opinion you should NEVER have to modify anything you purchase, especially something over a 1000 dollars. It should line up and fit well.

Maybe it's just me, but I have had nothing but issues with CPP and will NEVER buy from them again. I went to Matt's classic bowties for the front brakes on my 57 (specifically to avoid CPP) and had nothing but issues with their stuff, too, not lining up as well and having to modify to make it work. Won't buy from them ever again either.

Just wanted to give you my 2 cents on experience with some companies before you lay down your hard earned cash to them. This way you can make an informed decision having both good and bad view points.

55mike
12-14-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree with Rick L... Heidt's is the leader in the industry..I'm running their 2" spindles, and 1" lowering front springs for a 3" drop. For tires, I'm using a standard offset 7" Cragar, with 215/65/15 BFG T/A's

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x232/mikeoatman/DSC_4601-Edit-Edit.jpg

wayne557
12-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes Earle Williams spindles nice !!!

1956 Sedan Delivery
12-15-2011, 03:30 AM
I agree with Rick L... Heidt's is the leader in the industry..I'm running their 2" spindles, and 1" lowering front springs for a 3" drop. For tires, I'm using a standard offset 7" Cragar, with 215/65/15 BFG T/A's

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x232/mikeoatman/DSC_4601-Edit-Edit.jpg
Yep I go with Heidts as well. I had the type with the caliper bracket cast as one piece and they where junk. So I sold them and bought Heidts and was very happy with the fit.

DocHarley
12-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Yes Earle Williams spindles nice !!!

:tu:tu:

The best I found by far!

Heidts move the wheels out too far and they refused to give me a refund so If you want to buy mine I will sell then half price.

E. Williams moved my wheels in 1/2" and are very well made.

1956 Sedan Delivery
12-16-2011, 02:09 AM
:tu:tu:

The best I found by far!

Heidts move the wheels out too far and they refused to give me a refund so If you want to buy mine I will sell then half price.

E. Williams moved my wheels in 1/2" and are very well made.

Maybe I`m wrong but if the spindles move your wheel out dont you just use more backspace especially if you still need to buy wheels. I have 7`s on the front of my 56 4 door that has a disc brake kit fitted. The wheels have 3 1/2 inch backspace and they just dont look right so I am going to get new 7" wheels with a 4 1/2 inch BS and it should look right again as the wheel is now in 1 " each side. At least thats how I see it.

DocHarley
12-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Maybe I`m wrong but if the spindles move your wheel out dont you just use more backspace especially if you still need to buy wheels. I have 7`s on the front of my 56 4 door that has a disc brake kit fitted. The wheels have 3 1/2 inch backspace and they just dont look right so I am going to get new 7" wheels with a 4 1/2 inch BS and it should look right again as the wheel is now in 1 " each side. At least thats how I see it.

The reason I had issues with the Heidts is I purchased the Wilwood 12" disc brakes which is a bad combo. Moved my wheels out 1 3/4 which is not good, would have needed 5.25 BS rims which was not possible with the style rims I wanted. Heidts even sold me new hubs at the cost of $350 bucks which only moved my rims in 3/4 of an inch so now I was 1" over stock which is too wide and now Heidts will not take them back. So in short I hate Heidts. :sign0020:

The Williams spindels moved my wheels in 1/2" which is perfect and now I can buy any style wheel I want. :)

blacktop
12-16-2011, 10:27 PM
The reason I had issues with the Heidts is I purchased the Wilwood 12" disc brakes which is a bad combo. Moved my wheels out 1 3/4 which is not good, would have needed 5.25 BS rims which was not possible with the style rims I wanted. Heidts even sold me new hubs at the cost of $350 bucks which only moved my rims in 3/4 of an inch so now I was 1" over stock which is too wide and now Heidts will not take them back. So in short I hate Heidts. :sign0020:

The Williams spindels moved my wheels in 1/2" which is perfect and now I can buy any style wheel I want. :)

Im not happy now if thats true.I have heidts 2" drop with willwood 12" brakes and cant use earls spindles with my polished tube A arms because the are a diffrent ball joint and will hit earls spindles.Thats alot of $ not ot be happy.Im going to put the car low so maybe run a 7" front wheel and a 3" back space.:p3:

1956 Sedan Delivery
12-17-2011, 04:39 AM
Im not happy now if thats true.I have heidts 2" drop with willwood 12" brakes and cant use earls spindles with my polished tube A arms because the are a diffrent ball joint and will hit earls spindles.Thats alot of $ not ot be happy.Im going to put the car low so maybe run a 7" front wheel and a 3" back space.:p3:

I would maybe run a 7" wheel with a 4" backspace.

I have a 3 1/2" BS with the smaller brakes and would prefer 4" or maybe even 4 1/2"BS

jblack55
12-17-2011, 04:54 AM

Don, aka.....the hamsman

I agree :anim_25:

57 MAD
12-17-2011, 05:37 AM
I agree :anim_25:

We too used CPP 2inch drop spindles, calipers and rotors - perfect fit! :)
And 2inch lowering blocks in the back.
Front has 15inch rims also fitted 195's as 215's just touched on full lock.
And still have slight rake -15's with 235's on back.:tu

finn210
12-17-2011, 06:04 AM
We too used CPP 2inch drop spindles, calipers and rotors - perfect fit! :)
And 2inch lowering blocks in the back.
Front has 15inch rims also fitted 195's as 215's just touched on full lock.
And still have slight rake -15's with 235's on back.:tu

Not just perfect fit...Perfect stance as well ! :congrats:

PHLGUZZ
01-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Wilwood kit sold by CPP check out there cat. Just installed them recently seems to be fine and wildwood cal is 4 pistin painted red

MikeB
01-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Heidt's, hands down. Not having built-in caliper brackets means lots of brake choices, such as Wilwood.

You might want to send Mike at Heidt's a private message and ask him for the TriFive.com member price. http://www.trifive.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=7733

I'm no expert on the offset issue, but have a friend with Heidt's spindles and control arms. His front wheels seem to sit farther inboard than stock. Geoff, comments?

Rick_L
01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
If the wheels sit further inboard than stock, the control arms are shorter than stock.

As I recall Mike @Heidt's said how much. From memory it's 1/2" per side (for just the arms) but do a search and know.

The Heidt's spindle with the metric rotor (standard brake package) moves the wheel out 5/16" per side.

The narrowest tread width spindle on the market is the Earle Williams/TCI.