PDA

View Full Version : Rear Leaf Springs: Good or Bad, How to Tell?

Tod55
12-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi All-

A question about rear 4 leaf leaf springs on my 210 '55 Delray 2 door. Bought a roller frame minus the body. How do I tell if the rear 4 leaf springs are good or bad? Before I put the body on I want to make sure the old springs are not shot?

Is there a way to tell.....or should I just bite the bullet and buy new springs and bushings/shackles and U bolt kit while the body is off? There are no visible signs of spring breakage or cracks. However I do need to replace the shock mounting plates because of a broken stud.

Oh yea, if I get new springs, should I get them from Ol' 55 East Coast Chevy or Eaton Spring in Detroit? There is a prices difference (Eaton is more $), not sure why.

The wife and I await your responses.
Tod and Nancy

Rick_L
12-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Well the only way to really know is to see what the ride height is when you're finished, and have every part on the car.

There are some things you can check right now though.

First, see if all the slider pads at the ends of the leaf are still there and not worn excessively. These can be replaced if they are just worn.

Second, if the pads have worn too thin, they just fall out, and now the leafs are metal on metal. When this occurs, two things happen. First the springs tend to bind at times. Second, the upper of the two leafs gets worn quickly. If this wear is 1/16" or so, your springs should probably be replaced.

Third, check each leaf for cracks, especially around the center bolt hole.

Tod55
12-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Well the only way to really know is to see what the ride height is when you're finished, and have every part on the car.

There are some things you can check right now though.

First, see if all the slider pads at the ends of the leaf are still there and not worn excessively. These can be replaced if they are just worn.

Second, if the pads have worn too thin, they just fall out, and now the leafs are metal on metal. When this occurs, two things happen. First the springs tend to bind at times. Second, the upper of the two leafs gets worn quickly. If this wear is 1/16" or so, your springs should probably be replaced.

Third, check each leaf for cracks, especially around the center bolt hole.

Thanks.

Bad37Coupe
12-31-2011, 08:55 PM
So if you were going to be in the market fo new leaf springs, where would be the suggestion of places to buy from? I was looking at Ecklers but think there would be better options.

Rick_L
12-31-2011, 08:59 PM
There's always better options than Eckler's for any part. Anything they sell that's good is available somewhere else for less, and probably better delivery.

mitch hennings
12-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Heres the spring I have 5 leaf https//www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/super_slide_springs/ I really like them been under the car for 2 years now

557B210
12-31-2011, 09:44 PM
A company called ESPO has excellent service and competitive prices:http://www.springsnthings.com/

Tod55
12-31-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys. Dave, I'll check out Espo Springs and Things. Why did some cars have 5 springs and others 4? I'm putting 2" dropped springs in the front of my car....is the 4 spring rear okay to use? I don't want the rear to have a "jacked-up" look, just a nice even stance.