PDA

View Full Version : Struck gold!

briarpatch
09-21-2007, 12:32 AM
:)I've been looking all summer for a WCFB to replace the two barrel on my 56 BA. I traded for and bought some Rochester 4Jets and got a later model WCFB (with weighted secondary butterflies) but I really wasn't satisfied. I have the right intake manifold and air cleaner. Today I located a rotted-out 56 BA w/powerpack within 25 miles of home and bought the carb off it. Tag number 2366SA! I cleaned it up on the outside, lubed the linkage, and poured some fuel in thru the filter cavity. A couple of flips of the throttle linkage and it squirted! Man, I couldn't be happier right now. THANKS to everybody who's given me advice since I've joined Tri-Five. This ride is the most fun I've had over the last few years, and the hunt for the right parts to hot rod it a little is a big part of the fun. If anybody wants a 4 Jet or this later WCFB, or a three speed OD trans, let me know. THANKS - Stan

Shua57
09-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Congrats Stan. It's good to have everything come together sometimes.

wraplock
09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Stan in the words of the immortal Mr. Spoke "may you find having is as good as wanting!"

I bought a used WCFB for my 60 Vette from what I believed was a reputable used Corvette parts dealer. I Sent it out to be "restored" not just rebuilt by one of the countrys top muscle car carb restoration companys. Spell that "Expensive"!
After bolting it on and taking it off and returning it 2-3 times, I have now learned that these old carbs have problems with the throttle plates and the throttle shaft bores wearing out. They have a very thin wall so Not many carb rebuilders will bush the throttle plate so they don't Idle well at all when they are worn. That coupled with the choke set up rarely works leads me to believe this is not the best way to go. $600.00 later and I am not at all happy with it's performance.

If this wasn't a matching numbers 60 Vette That would loose value and appeal if I changed out the manifold and carb, I would swap it for a Holley Street avenger in a second!

Hope yours works out better for you!

Don

210ratrod
12-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Hey briarpatch, do you still have that WCFB? Does it have the choke assembly and linkage on it still? Waddayawant for it? Let me know! TnT

briarpatch
12-13-2007, 10:58 PM
210ratrod -Yes, I still have it - It has the complete choke assembly w/black plastic cap and all linkage on it. It has a 90degree fitting with a pcv valve on the back of the base. I paid $80.00 for it at a swap meet. You can have it for that and shipping from western NC or maybe we can trade something. I'll try to make a couple of pics and email if you want. THANKS - Stan