PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems

fiftyfivechevy
11-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi,
Went to take my 55 out for maybe the last time before I sold it and had my first problem since i owned the car for 5 years. I went to start it and the starter stayed engaged after I released the key to the on position. I jumped out and disconnected the battery to stop the starter from cranking the motor. Luckily I hadn't started the car for a month or so and it takes about 10 seconds to get gas to the carburetor. I am thinking the ignition switch may be bad, or the solenoid is sticking forward and keeping the starter engaged. Any easy way to figure out which is the problem? I have arthritis really bad and it is going to be difficult for me to get under the car to remove the solenoid. I have a 327 with HEI ignition and an alternator. I have had the car for 5 years and this is the first time I have had any problems whatsoever.

Fiftyfivechevy

hddude
11-03-2012, 04:20 PM
i remember years ago, ya had to put a little grease on the shaft that the solenoid slides on. got dry, kept it engaged.

fiftyfivechevy
11-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I haven't had to work on an ignition problem for about 30 years, but I do know that it is either the ignition switch is bad, the solenoid is sticking, or the starter is bad , if I remember correctly. I guess I will start with the ignition switch since it is the easiest to get to.

fiftyfivechevy

acardon
11-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Is it an automatic? If so have someone take it out of park or neutral while holding their foot firmly on the brake. Then tap the battery cable on the post and see if it tries to start. If not it's the switch. If it still tries to start, it's the solenoid.
If it's manual transmission, take the purple wire off the ignition switdh and try taping the cable on the battery post.

fiftyfivechevy
11-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Well, I finally got the ignition switch key and lock out of the switch housing. For some reason it took me about 45 minutes to get it out. I noticed that the switch does not "feel right" when it was turned to the start position, so I feel confident that the switch is bad, maybe broken or worn out inside the electrical section. My question now is, what is the easiest way to get to the switch behind the dash. I can't even begin to see or get my hands up to the switch from under the dash. Do I take out the gauge cluster, or the glove box, or the heater controls to remove the switch for replacement. I thought it was better to ask rather than taking things apart and then find out there was a better way.

Thanks,
fiftyfivechevy

hddude
11-03-2012, 11:15 PM
first, spray it with electrical cleaner? what do ya think, acardon? no?

angs1957
11-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Well, I finally got the ignition switch key and lock out of the switch housing. For some reason it took me about 45 minutes to get it out. I noticed that the switch does not "feel right" when it was turned to the start position, so I feel confident that the switch is bad, maybe broken or worn out inside the electrical section. My question now is, what is the easiest way to get to the switch behind the dash. I can't even begin to see or get my hands up to the switch from under the dash. Do I take out the gauge cluster, or the glove box, or the heater controls to remove the switch for replacement. I thought it was better to ask rather than taking things apart and then find out there was a better way.

Thanks,
fiftyfivechevy

You can try to jumper the car to start since you have the ign sw out and you have tried all the other things it may be time to replace the switch :anim_25:

fiftyfivechevy
11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
I want to run this by everyone to see if my thinking is correct. I jumped the starter solenoid terminal (S) to the battery terminal on the solenoid and the motor kept cranking after I removed the jumper. This means to me that either the solenod is sticking ( bad) or the starter motor shift mechanism is hanging up. I was sure at first it was the ignition switch since it just doesn't feel right, but maybe I am used to my normal car which I drive everyday. What do you all think?

fiftyfivechevy

mickeywestsr
11-07-2012, 10:31 PM
I want to run this by everyone to see if my thinking is correct. I jumped the starter solenoid terminal (S) to the battery terminal on the solenoid and the motor kept cranking after I removed the jumper. This means to me that either the solenod is sticking ( bad) or the starter motor shift mechanism is hanging up. I was sure at first it was the ignition switch since it just doesn't feel right, but maybe I am used to my normal car which I drive everyday. What do you all think?

fiftyfivechevy

Solenod I'd say......:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

Rick_L
11-07-2012, 10:36 PM
X2 on the solenoid, after bypassing the switch.

It could also be the starter or drive, but not usually.

tjsdelivery
11-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Tap on the starter to see if it disengages. If so, probably the solenoid sticking.

midwestcustomandperformance
11-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Just to clarify, did you remove the wire to the starter when you put on the jumper? Meaning was the jumper the only wire on it?

iequipu
11-11-2012, 11:44 PM
I had this happen and found the ground to the motor from the firewall was bad and caused the solinoid to burn up.the voltage drop cam easy to find,take a voltage meter and place the one wire on the negative side of the battery and the other on the motor to see if the meter reads while someone else cranks the motor.If the meter reads over two volts you have lost ground and you will continue to burn up solinoids