Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

LADDER BARS 4 LINK OR WHAT

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Rick_L 
#1 · (Edited)
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHOOT ME SOME PICTURES OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE TO DO LADDER BARS WITH COIL OVERS. IM THINKING ABOUT DOING AWAY WITH THE LEAF SPRINGS ON MY 55. IM GOING TO MINI TUB IT SO I THOUGHT WELL MAYBE I SHOULD JUST DO LADDER BARS AND DO AWAY WITH THE LEAFS.

What I am after is wanting to go with a pro touring look so I would like to put 18s or 20s on the back and get the car lowered as much as I can with keeping the drivability of it. So people have said loose the leafs and do a ladder bar with coil overs just not sure yet

#3 ·
I have 1each leaf spring 4 link and ladder bar cars. they all have there issues but the leaf spring car rides the best . it has caltracks and mono leaf springs . also goes 1.43 60 time. If I were you I would do the pocket kit and the minitubs. it is the best bang for the buck . just my opinion :bowtier::):bowtieb:

#4 ·
All Im after is to be able to drive and have fun with the car. Not trying to do no race car here thats for sure however I do want to lower the car and put 18s oe 20s in the rear and go for the pro touring look

#7 ·
If you are going to drive your car, stay away from ladder bars. They bind up when you go around a corner. Not only is that uncomfortable, it will lift the inside tire when you turn.

Same goes for a drag racing 4 link where the upper bars are not parallel to the lower bars.

What you want for a street driven car is what's called a 4 bar. On a 4 bar, the top bars are parallel to the bottom bars (when viewed from the side) and the suspension doesn't bind in a turn. Also the bars are usually mounted to the frame and axle with a rubber or urethane bushing.

Art Morrison sells a 4 bar kit that has the upper bars mounted at an angle (when viewed from above); this eliminates the need for a panhard bar.

With any of these, you will need a sturdy mount for the front attaching points, usually a substantial crossmember.

#9 ·
Rick L. is one slick cat when it comes to cars!! i agree with what hes mentions about the different suspensions...but...i also run a ladder bar on the street with no problems, maybe not politically correct but it works fine. not as good as a cadillac but i dont drive it enough to make a difference!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.