Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Car Chasers Do Something.. "Different"

10K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  JG283 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure if anyone watches "Car Chasers" on CNBC, but I saw on an episode tonight they bought a nice black '57 two door sedan and decided to strip all the paint off it, get creative with the flap disc, and clearcoat it.... I have my opinion of it but will keep it to myself.. just thought I would share this very different approach to a '57.

See less See more
#4 ·
Just looking at it I can't help but think, if they had to do this, why not work the grinder horizontally instead of vertically as they did... would have at least helped it flow better with the lines of the car.

On the bright side I want the name of the guy who got that body so darn straight! :)

#24 ·
All I can say, is the body must be laser straight to be clear coated bare metal...kinda wierd, but it show cases their body work skills....not something I would do, or could do..JMHO :shakehands::gba:bowtie-trifive

#9 ·
A car that straight and rust free would have looked great in the original black paint and personally, I would have kept it that way. But its not my car. Its their car, their choice.

Thing is...... Doing something like that to a car in that condition after 56 years just to be different or because of some passing fad...... I only hope they haven't screwed it up so badly that it cannot be put back in paint and the chrome and stainless saved.

Shaking head,

Harry

#11 ·
I dont like it when they paint chrome. I saw a guy at a show that had a red 57 that was painted red ALL over...no chrome or stainless showing. Gotta think he went the cheap way and just sprayed the whole car red and couldnt afford to do it the right way rechroming or buying new chrome. But, as they say, its his car. This car looks like a Zebra with headlights!

#16 ·
I don't like it! they did go the cheap way out because the didn't do a custom design of the car. all's they did was give it a half-as paint job and paint stuff black.

Hopefully the next owner won't be so lazy and can pick a color (any color) and since the didn't really modify anything. stainless can be buffed and chrome can be done.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
Not the "Look" for me,then again but it is not my car, To each is own they say.
I do not like the grinder /sanding vertical look either. Mike

#19 ·
I'm with the anti-vertical crowd. Whereas I'd prefer to see real paint, if they had taken the extra time to run the flapper along the lines of the car, it might have looked better. IMO

#23 ·
A car that straight and rust free would have looked great in the original black paint
But it wasn`t straight to begin with. The rear fins looked like someone had backed into a wall or something with it, or had been rearended.
Terry

#26 ·
Was that on the show? Can't see any damage from these pics.
Yes it was shown on the show. Went and bought some rear fin sections off of 4 dr 57`s to repair them with.
Terry

#27 ·
I think it is a great idea for a car that would sit in their showroom as an attention getter and probably get them some media attention. To build a car like that to sell is not such a great idea. I think that you eliminated many buyers but I guess it only takes one.

#28 ·
Delorean tried that back when, didn't work then either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.