Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

"Black Death" 57 Chevy owned by Ron Filkins

17K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  copilot2u 
#1 ·
Does anyone else remember a black 57 chevy 2dr hardtop that showed up in, I think, Car Craft magazine in about 82 or 83? The feature photo shows the car leaving the line with the front tires about 18" in the air, and the car clearly hooking very hard. This was a drag car running a small block, with Nitrous, and I believe a 4 speed transmission and ladder bars. If I recall correctly after all these years, it was tubbed and ran 14 X 32 firestone slicks. It ran some wicked fast times for the early 80's and was one of the early nitrous warriors. The owner was Ron Filkins, and his wifes name was either Linda or Lydia. It ran without a front bumper, and had a beautiful black straight body. I am pretty sure that Ron lived in the Southern California area. So does anyone else remember this car and does anyone know if it still exists?

Driver.

#3 · (Edited)

Attachments

#14 ·
Nitrous switches

The arrow points to the Nitrous arming and purge switches under the dash. Ron used a microswitch on the carburetor to actually activate the system, so he could just lift out of the throttle to turn off the juice if the car got out of shape or if something broke.

The files I attached to my original post are probably too small to read this, but I saved the full size files on one of my computers and just reviewed them tonight.

Driver.

Attachments

#17 ·
Yeah, I read the link and saw that as well, MISURACO. Yellow Bullet is a strange place. Every time I've had occasion to go there, seems like nothing but drama and trauma and no moderators keeping the peace. Which is why I avoid it like the plague unless there is a good reason to visit briefly. Very briefly.

Best regards,

Harry

#15 ·
Ron Filkins

Born: January 25, 1943
Died: August 1, 1993
Buried:
Full Name: Ronald Leroy Filkins
Nickname:
Drag Strip: Sears Point Raceway, Sonoma County, California
Event: NHRA Autolite National Drag Racing Championships
Accident Date: August 1, 1993
Car: SS/GA 1968 Chevrolet Camaro
Biographical: He suffered a heart attack in his car while returning to the pits on the return road after winning the first round of eliminations. He was rushed to Petaluma Valley Hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was a resident of Alta Loma, California. He won the Super Stock division at the 1993 Winternationals and the 1990 Winston World Finals at Pomona.

Sources
"Drag racer is dead after heart attack," Los Angeles Times, August 2, 1993
"Death at the track: 1990-1993," Charlotte Observer, November 11, 2001
Motorsport Memorial website (http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=5052)
Photos

#18 ·
I know this is an old thread but......

I remember the '57 chevy "Black Death" from back in the day! It was what I referred to as a "beer line car"!! The beer line was long on a hot day but when that '57 would get in the water box... the beer line emptied QUICKLY as everyone ran to watch the hard launching '57 make a pass!! :sign0020: Was a great time to sneak up and get a beer quickly!!!
The other day on Trifive facebook someone posted a picture of Charles Carpenter '55 chevy shoebox. I believe it was based off the east coast. Does anyone remember the "Shoebox Shootout" with Dave Riolo's '55 "Temptation" and Bob Bunker's "Folsom Flash" both these cars were out of NorCal and I believe had work at Tognotti's and Alston Brothers in Sacramento. Do ANY of these cars still exist and are they EVER seen in public anymore???? :shakehands:Thanks Jay

Btw; just curious as to what happened to these one time "Great Warriors"!

#21 ·
Does anyone else remember a black 57 chevy 2dr hardtop that showed up in, I think, Car Craft magazine in about 82 or 83? The feature photo shows the car leaving the line with the front tires about 18" in the air, and the car clearly hooking very hard. This was a drag car running a small block, with Nitrous, and I believe a 4 speed transmission and ladder bars. If I recall correctly after all these years, it was tubbed and ran 14 X 32 firestone slicks. It ran some wicked fast times for the early 80's and was one of the early nitrous warriors. The owner was Ron Filkins, and his wifes name was either Linda or Lydia. It ran without a front bumper, and had a beautiful black straight body. I am pretty sure that Ron lived in the Southern California area. So does anyone else remember this car and does anyone know if it still exists?

Driver.

#22 ·
I was just telling my friend about Ron Filkins Killer 57 I remember well he was also in Super Chevy Magazine had it for years showing the 57 wheels up down the 1/4, also I remember pictures him showing pics of the blown motor after he through a rod and burnt pistons, I wish I knew as well hope he is still around Procharger 1

#23 ·

Driver.
[/QUOTE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.