Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tire Size Specs

105K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  jaxondean 
#1 ·
#2 ·
tire and wheel combo

just to add another tire size and wheel combo,my 55 has stock rear suspension lowered 2" in rear,stock wheelwell housings,stock inner lip and i run a 275/60R15 on a torque thrust II custom 15 X 8 with a 4 1/4" back space.no rubbing at all even on high speed corners.to take off or change the tire is quite a process,jack the body all the way up, put lincoln 10 ton stands under rear frame, unbolt the bottom of the shocks,drop the rearend all the way down, let the air out of the tires and carefully remove wheel,push bottom in and guide top past lower wheelwell.sometimes i wonder if it's worth it,but it looks really cool,in my opinion.hope this helps.:tu

#3 ·
I just bought a 55 Bel Air and want to put new tires and wheels on it. It was a 1/4 mile car and I am going to tone it down. Am looking at smoothies. Currently it has Billet Specialty 15" on the front and 16" on the back. Am hoping to go 16" front and back but am not sure what wheel width to get, offset, and tire size. I am brand new to this stuff. Hopefully I can figure out your chart and use it. Thanks. Barry

#6 ·
I got a pair of 295/50-15s under the back end of my 57 using aftermarket rally wheels with 4 1/2" backspacing. Of course i had rolled the fender lip up years ago. I can get a finger between the fender lip and tire and also a finger between the tire and leaf spring.
Terry

#10 ·
Tire Size Conversion

I am currently looking at replacing the rear tires on my 55. The car has a mini-tub setup and is currently running Micky Thompson "N50 x 15" on 10" Weld wheels on the back. I would like to go to a little smaller tire but keep the 10" wheels. I don't know what size the current "N50"s" are and what would anyone recomend for replacement. Thanks for any help I can get!

#13 ·
55 Chevy Wheel sizes

Hi all, hope everyone had a great or short winter. (Long) Heres the same project for me, moved the springs into the frame rails last year but never mini tubed it. probally should had. When reading articles out their it looks like a 9&1/2" wide rim will be it. What i was wondering if any of you fit a 10" wide rim on the back with a stock width ford 9". Also looking at 17" for size, currently running 15" rims 8" wide. thanks again for the help. These boards are top notch. You bailed me out in the fall with the gas tank sending unit issues. Keith

#14 ·
It's not the "rim" size that's the problem, it's the tires. You can put a 10" wheel on a stock car, as long as the tire is 275 or smaller in section width. You should be selecting your tires, then pick a wheel that works with the tires and has the appropriate backspacing.

If you have specific questions, you probably should start your own thread. This "sticky" is for informational purposes.

#20 · (Edited)
I just got as set of these Mag G's from the guys at Billet Specialties. They say they build this rim exactly for this car. The photo doesnt do them justice as in person they are absolutley amazing, and they arent too terrible pricey. Waiting on tires and once they are in I can post some photos - though if you got them we would have the same car ( except 4 door).
Mounting Toyo Proxy 295/30 20's on back, 225 45 18 up front. I got a 350 spinning same horse and I hook awsome with my current 295 bfg's.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.