Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1:18th Gasser Diecasts

10K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Butch m 
#1 ·
just returning to the site after a long lapse........but I got to fooling around with modifying 1:18th diecasts and am hooked.......here are afew pics of some outrageous builds........

i have stalled on the 55 and will get back to it when the weather gets cold.....

See less See more
#5 ·
bobd..........thanks, I am working on the suspension for the Orange 55....it will not be as high as i am trying to build the model and then do my 55 1:1 car to match so it will not be as outrageous as the Nomad. The 55 is on a miniature rotisserie I crafted to support the body:)

Here is another project I did from a 55 pickup.......rusted and made into welding trailer

Just a few others that I am in the middle of ....getting a functional straight axle with spindles out of metal is a challenge doing it in miniature.....i will probably get back to these this winter when it is freezing outside.

#7 ·
:tu:tu Kool

#9 ·
You do some very nice work. A lot of attention to detail and also with the stuff all around the models.

Did you build all the parts that don't come on the model, or do you buy them. I'm talking about things like the tool box and the welding tanks and gauges.

If this trucks tires weren't so shiny, I think most people couldn't tell if this was a real photo.

Also that rotisserie is fantastic idea. :congrats:

#10 · (Edited)
Some of the things I made, ie wood pallets, the suspensions and towing frame on the trailer are also made from metal stock as well as the rotisserie, welding tanks, tools, etc are available in kits , I just rusted them for the look, I had old rusted wheels on the trailer but i wanted to present an image of using the trailer so a good set of socks and shoes were added. Thanks for all the compliments , this was my first attempt at rusting and the junk yard look , once started it will get your imagination going and it becomes a passion just like the real cars.. This winter I hope to build an old weathered barn and display some "barn finds" . It is a lot of fun when the weather is too bad outside.:) Just a couple tips....the fenderwell headers are from electrical romex wire with stainless brake ferrels for the flairs, easy to bend for different gasser fronts, leaf springs can be made from black wire ties or the stainless strips from old windshield blades, I use whatever i can find in the old drawers, rivets, springs from old pens etc. A blue magic marker will tint the headers for a heated look on chrome too. The ideas are limitless, just let your imagination go and have fun. I just turned 58 and my family thinks i am losing it but I did this stuff when i was a kid and that's how the whole car passion started for me......it is just another expression of the hobby i tell em'. It is safe, clean fun but can be addictive! I really should be concentrating on the real cars but.........the modeling actually gives you ideas for the real deal.

#11 ·
Here is another project I have going.........it is a 63 Nova that is being modded into an Altered Wheelbase car........I had to cut two cars for the build.......it also will feature an one piece tilt front. No company produces anything like this in a Nova so I am doing a one of a kind ...it really should be cool once done.....it has been a challenge but I am in deep with the quest to pull this one off. Here ya' go........:)

#15 ·
Hmmmmm....1:18 scale tube (or I beam) front axles...
This gets my machinist brain turning...
Great work on diecast. I've been toying with the idea for years but never actually tried it.
Great job!

#16 ·
It has been some time since I fooled with the modeling aspect of this hobby so with the heat of summer I could get back to tooling around with the model projects in the air conditioning . I have collected some materials to build a rustic barn diorama housing the tri fives. Miniature barn finds.....lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.