Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

'55 235 Oil Filter - Why install one?

26K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Jim '57 
#1 · (Edited)
I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to this question.

My 55 235 has the aftermarket oil filter. I'll rebuild the engine and don't see the need to reinstall the external oil filter (and no I'm not selling it). With the engine design and spec to change oil every 2000-3000 miles, a magnetic bolt at the base of the oil pan, am I missing something with my approach? I know it goes against the idea of trapping those pesky minute particles, but a good oil change should do the trick. Air filters, fuel filters, gotta have 'em but that external water tower called an oil filter - not sure it's needed. Am I out there for taking this approach?

DaveB

#2 ·
An accessory oil filter helps protect your engine by trapping particles suspended in the oil. An oil filter was optional on the 235 and many of them never had one. I would imagine an oil filter is more important today because we use modern detergent motor oil. The old non-detergent oil available in the 50’s would form sludge that would trap some of abrasive particles.

Nevertheless, I ran a 235 without an oil filter in an old 1954 Chevy pickup for many years and miles without any problems.

#4 ·
I don't have an oil filter on mine, didn't have one when I bought it. I bought a filter to add, but haven't got around to it. They just take up so much space, and I don't see how they actually do a good job of filtering since they have to run through the lines the way do.

#6 ·
Oil does not wear uot and need changing!!!! It gets dirty and if you have a filter it filters out the dirt that acts as an abrasive. The oil companies have brain washed the public into changing oil every 3000 miles, that may have been true in 1955 when cars did not have filters. I have never changed oil any less than 6000 miles and have never had a problem but I've always had a filter. Now I use synthetic and change every 10-12000 miles and still no problems.
Jim
Use a filter

#7 ·
The workshop manual from Chevy in 1955 has the oil changed every 2000-3000 miles. Since the engines in '55 did not have an oil filter, I assumed these instruction were to keep it clean and not for viscosity breakdown or a ploy by the oil companies. I'm not sure the level of impurities in the oil are really a problem (at least that is what I'm trying to figure out). I don't see where there are problems with either performance or engine life without the filter unless we let the oil impurities build-up by not changing (i.e., running it until its a sludge).

Thanks,

DaveB

#10 · (Edited)
Oil filters were optional. If you don't live in a dusty climate or drive on gravel roads you probably don't need one. Keep your oil filler cap clean and oiled. Try to change your oil regularly to remove any suspended particles.

#15 ·
I simply don't have room for a filter on my '58. Between the aftermarket power brakes, & the original style generator/power steering pump, I can't hang one on the manifold. I just took mine off. I may mount it somewhere else eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.