Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

side window install

48K views 64 replies 41 participants last post by  Pops @ Tri-5.com 
#1 ·
Can anyone talk me thru rear 1/4 window and door window installation for my 2-door post (sedan) 57? I paid a shop to put the front and back glass in after I painted her. which I now regret because it would have been a bit easier to install the headliner first. That was last summer...progress has been slow what with work and kids and starting a small business. I think I have all the pieces necessary, regulators seem to operate okay, got the fuzzies, the stainless all shined up okay for a driver...might try to get at least one window in next weekend. I have re-done the vent windows, did need to spend some dough there, but they're ready. I'm looking forward to having a headliner and all the glass, that will seem like a milestone!

#2 ·
Putting the headliner in after the glass install is no big deal and shouldn`t effect the install any at all.Installing the glass isn`t too bad. I just installed mine a few months back. Hope you marked the rear qtr. half moon channels before removing them. Send me a PM if you have any questions and i`ll be glad to help all i can.
Terry

#4 ·
Hi Bob, I am about to undertake the task of installing the side glass in my 57 2dr post. You seem to have lots of information and seem very generous in sharing said information. I've tried scouring the site, maybe I just haven't found it yet! If you could find the time to forward to me I'd much appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for any help you can forward.
--Kelly Sheffield
kelly@kellysheffield.com

#7 ·
I had a heck of a time figuring out how to put the windows into my 55 2door post

Unfortunately there where multiple parts missing and the welded on triangular pieces had fallen off the bottom of the stell window channels
I contacted a couple of the local window shops that deals with old cars and luckily the place where I bought the window glass from Georgia Classic Chevy Parts - (770) 921-3244 where awesome to deal with.
Steve helped me through the whole project before I even new about Chevytalk.org and trifive.com which he told me about

here is part of what he wrote that really helped me

Hi Mike. Originally, the glass was set in that rubber with the flaps. Forget about using the rubber with the flaps. Too hard to deal with. So use the glass setting tape I told you about instead.
Those rusted "tracks" are actually called glass setting channels. The tracks are the things the rollers ride in.
The 6" track that is attached to the bottom of the glass setting channel is supposed to be where the roller from the window windup regular arm rides in.
On each end of the glass setting channel there is supposed to be a roller attached to the bottom. Each roller is on a little triangular piece of metal that is welded to each end of the glass setting channel. One rides in a long track in the front and the other in a short curved track in the back. Both of those tracks should be fastened to the car with a couple of nuts and a few large head screws. The rear track you mentioned that you said is welded, sounds like one of them, but it should not be welded to the body.
So when you're ready to put the glass in, don't put the front and rear tracks in yet. Put some white lithium grease on the rollers. Put the glass in and get the windup arm roller in the track on the channel. Steady the glass with one hand, while rolling up the window until the window is all the way up. Then put the front track in, slipping it over the front roller and loosely screwing the track to the body. Then do the same with the rear track. Then snug up the screws and nuts. The nuts are on adjustable screws, which allow you to move the window in and out if needed. Roll the window up and down to check its operation.
Sorry, but I don't have a sedan here for pictures. If you get a 55 shop manual, there are some glass installation instructions in the body section. It isn't that good, but better than nothing and anybody with an old car should own a factory service manual for it, in this case called a 55 shop manual.
Something that I think would help you alot is to go to

Some tips I remember where that the first quarter window took me and my father about 4 hours:eek: the second one took me by myself about 30 minutes:D

The local glass shop recomended to glue the windows in with a high grade black silicone which I did and worked out very nicely.:tu

I believe steve recomended setting the windows in the tracks about a 1/4" towards the front of the car to prevent them from coming out of the felt tracks as they are rolled down.

Also remember to put the trim on first I used 210 trim and a different than factory style and there where nuts that needed to be tightened that with the windows installed it would not allowed that.
Hope this info helps and if you need side glass Georgia Classic Chevy Parts - (770) 921-3244 where awesome to deal with:)

#6 ·
Quarter window installation

Hi Kelly, I saw the post you wrote about tech articles. I've baught every chevy book and no where can I find a picture on how to install the quarter windows. I figured out the layout of the tracks, but would like to have some more info before placing the glass in. The car is a 55 2 door sedan email is davemelton1@gmail.com.

Thanks for any info you can forward. I will pass it on to my friends and family that are putting their cars together.

Dave

#8 ·
Door weather stripping install

Does anyone have any tech articles on door weather stripping for a 57 2 dr post. I'm in the process of installing the weather stripping and am not sure which way they go. Any help would be greatly appriciated. I tried to open Danchuck tech page but it won't let me open it. I'm not sure where else to look.
Greatride 57

#13 ·
Thanks!

Bob, I want to say thanks for the articles. I've finally gotten around to installing my glass after giving up on two supposed experts. I tracked down missing hardware based upon what I saw in the install steps and I've managed to get my front glass installed - and it works! ;) This says a lot for the quality of the install articles! Thanks again!

#24 ·
Bob,
Your are #1 on the help factor scale. Thanks again for the window install tech help. The zip worked perfectly. Thanks again.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.