Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Chevy 56 4 door hardtop BelAir Back Window Seal

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fran0216 
#1 ·
I just got my back window seal from hhclassic.com and the seal is rounded all the way around, my back windows is not rounded and there is a big gap where they connected the rubber together is this normal. I called them before I purchase it and they said their seals are manufactured by T&N, is there a way to tell if I got a seal from T&N there is no markings on the seal? I don't want to make a second mistake purchasing seals and this seal seem smaller than the once i purchased that was from danchuks that was hard and problems installing? Need help from the experts on this site. As always thanks for your help.

#3 ·
My mistake - I called hhclassic.com and I ordered the wrong seal, I should have ordered the sedan vs hardtop, learned something today, if there is a post between the front and back door it is a sedan on 4 doors. As you can tell i am still learning about these classics... When I bought the car it was listed and papers that it was a 4 door hardtop belair... So Im returning the seal to hhclassics and because it was my fault for ordering the wrong part, i'll have to cuff up for the shipping cost both ways...

#4 ·
So you 56 is a sedan then and not a hardtop? At least you are going to get it straightened out. We should all learn from our mistakes, i know i sure have over the years.
Terry

#5 ·
56 4 door rear glass

I just finished putting a rear glass in a 56-4door sedan and found out some things that might be helpful.Ther are 2 extra gooves on the backside and when i installed couldn't get the window to set right because the inward grove didn't seat over pinch weld. had to go inside and pull it over--then all went well--Bob

#6 ·
Well Fran I tried to install a hardtop rear seal in my sedan a few weeks ago. Didn't notice it was the wrong part until after I had it installed. I bought it 5 or more years ago so I don't know if I ordered the wrong part or if it was the supplier's fault but I'm stuck with it.

Unfortunately after I got the correct seal I'm still having trouble. Even through the correct groove is over the pinch weld as (as Bob described) the window still doesn't seat well and there is a gap between the outer flap and the glass.

The windshield went in easy and looks great. The rear window has turned out to be quite a challenge.

#7 · (Edited)
Here is what i've decided to do. When I get the correct seal from hhclassics, im going install the rubber seal on the back glass, and install the window and molding, without the sealant, and see if it fits and make adjustment if necessary, then pull the glass back out and add the sealant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.