Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacific NW '57 "Sleeper" ... says "HI!"

19K views 64 replies 36 participants last post by  Frisco 57 
#1 · (Edited)
A NW native, I've owned my '57 since May'72. Some of you NW folks may recognize this Chevy, especially if you frequent the drags. Since owning the car, it has always remained completely stock appearing with its whitewalls, full wheel covers, and column-shifted trans. The drivetrain is another story. In the summer of '73, it received an out-of-the-crate LT-1 (350ci, 11:1cr, 370hp) engine coupled to a built TH400. It ran mid-to-low 13's for quite awhile, but eventually improved to a best of 12.78 at 105+.

I was satisfied, but my two boys were not. :D They found a 400ci 4-bolt main small block and had Dale Green (DG Machine - Auburn, WA) build me a gorilla short block that ended up being a 408ci. Again, this was in June of 2000. The car immediately dipped into the 11's, going 11.78 at 114. Whoa! The track manager said "Cage it or else!" as the NHRA limit for no cage at the time was 12-flat. Had to short-shift and dialed 12-flat for my bracket racing until NHRA lowered the limit to 11.50. Ah ha! :cool:

I thought ... Hmmmm? Wouldn't it be nice to challenge that 11.50 limit? So, this past summer, on went some AFR "210 Comp. Pkg" heads to replace the AFR "Street 195's". I coupled those with some new Hooker SuperComp headers that tuck-up nicely and out of sight, plus a new 3" exhaust system with H-pipe. Go here for some install details and pics.

Did the new pieces help? YOU BET! ... as on 10/19/2008, the car recently clicked off an 11.433 at 117.59 mph! Again, the track manager said "Doug, you're gonna have to cage it!" ;) The car will never receive a cage, as it will always remain my '57 "Sleeper".

Here's a photo taken on that day ...

Leaping '57 11-second "Sleeper" - 10/19/2008

For more stats, go here. While there, drop me a vote!

Nice to be aboard the TriFive forum! :tu

UPDATE: On 10/10/09 with excellent air, my '57 went 11.385 sec @ 118.66 mph!

See less See more
#37 ·
3-inch exhaust pics ...

There is a great exhaust discussion over on that other Chevy forum ... go here for the thread's link. If you go to page 3 of that thread, you'll come to my post of my '57's 3-inch exhaust install with some pictures ... go here for the direct link.

As you'll read, I'm very happy with the new 3" system ... as I never thought I'd see the day that my '57 would run sub-11.50's ... and still be one of the quietest at the strip! :)

#41 ·
Another "Mill" ...

Hello Doug,
Do you by chance have a son named Jeff? I was T&T last October @ Pacific International and I think I saw your car.;)
Mark
Hi Mark ... and "Yup!" Jeff is my oldest and also has that genetic defect that my wife calls "speed". :D He's been slooowly putting together his '72 Nova, but he is one that is also without work due to the current economy situation. The car is essentially done with its new 588ci BIG block and PG trans. He's hoping to see some low-9's this year ... but the car is currently sitting until he finds employment. (Know anyone in the Seattle area that needs a journeyman electrician?) Here's a pic of his Nova (without the hood), powered by a 496ci big block when it was only running 10.20's at 133+ ...

#46 ·
ET Update for my '57 "Sleeper' ...

Just thought everyone would like to know that my '57 Bel Air "sleeper" has gone a tad quicker this year ...
* Previous best as of 10/19/08 - 11.43 @ 117.59 mph, 1.59 60-foot
* Best-to-date as of 09/27/09 - 11.406 @ 118.18 mph! with a 1.560 60-foot

Why the improvement? Not really sure, as all I've done since last year is put some new 5-leaf springs (replacing the old 5-leafs) and some new M/T "ET Street" drag tires, same size (11.50x15x26) as before. I've had numerous guys ask me WHY this 408ci small block powered '57 runs so quick ... and I just tell 'em "Lucky, I guess!" ;) It does have some nice pieces. Again, for more details/photos of my '57, check it out here on DragTimes. While you're out there, drop me a vote!!!

#48 ·
Car is still looking good Dug, and the number's are getting great also for a street ride......................... WTG.................. :congrats: :tu

#50 ·
NW "Sleeper" (con't)

Dug, I once heard that one of the nationally published car magazines was going to do a spread on "sleepers" and your car was being considered for that article. Is that still in the works?
I've had numerous contacts with HOT ROD, Frisco, and just recently got the following reply from editor, Rob Kinnan ... "I remember your car, and think it's cool, but we don't have a photographer in the Northwest. If you can obtain good, magazine-quality photos I'll certainly take a look at them." So guess I need to get some photos to send his way. If anyone knows or has a connections to any of the popular car mags, let me know ... It would be pretty neat to get some national exposure. :)

#51 ·
Hey Doug this is Dave. I got to spend some time talking with you at the Pinks event (which airs tonight) . Nice to see you have made it to the board. Dad (mark2uall) has met you also but his memory is pretty much gone. He has the 56 2dr wagon. You hung out in our pits for a bit.

Folks, I have had the chance to look at Doug's car several times up close and personal and I can tell you it is an absolutely beautiful show car that flat out screams. He definitely has the combo right. My favorite 57 by far. Oh ya, he is a heck of a nice guy to boot.

#52 ·
Thanks, Dave ...

Hi Dave! SURE ... I remember you and your Dad from PINKS! BTW, CONGRATS on getting your car on tonight's "PINKS - All Out" broadcast on SPEED-TV ... a FULL pass of your '55! Lucky you! I didn't see my '57 at all. Bummer. :(

Thanks, also, for the nice words. Show car? Well, let's call it a "5-footer". ;) Say "Hi" to your Dad for me. BTW, son Jeff and I plan to run our cars Oct 9th (or 10th?) at PR. Maybe we'll see ya then. Thanks again.

#53 ·
Dad and uncle (blue 73 vette) will be running that race. I have to work but might come out for a little while.

Oh, and calling your car a 5 footer is a little humble in my opinion.:)

#57 · (Edited)
Seattle "Tri-Five-ers" - GoodGuys, July 23rd, 2010

Just a quick note for those of you in the NW (Seattle area) ... Come watch me run my '57 at the GoodGuys event at Pacific Raceways on Friday, July 23rd. Have not run it this year, so hopefully it will still click off some mid-11's.

Night launch at 2009 GoodGuys Nostalgia Drags - July 24th, 2009

Go here for event info ... Stop by and say "Hi"! Doug

ps: Hey! Check out this post number ... #57! Gotta love it!

#60 ·
Thanks ...

angs1957 and epylkki ... Thanks for the "welcome", although I'm not new to the forum (joined Nov'08). My note above was just an update to my initial "introduction" post.

Eric - You'll see me around at Pacific Raceways next Friday (7/23) for the Nostalgia Drags. Lake Tapps is not that far away ... Hop in that '57 and come out and watch the action.

BTW, I ran my '57 Friday night (7/16) and made 4 passes, all in the 11.50's ... the quickest was an 11.51 at 117.29 mph. ;)

#62 ·
Thanks / Video of 11.56 pass ...

Thanks, Charles. Running 11.50's is perfect since the car is not NHRA legal to go quicker than 11.50 due to not having a roll cage.

My son just sent me this video of my 11.56 pass. It's a bit dark, but you can see what my '57 looks like going thru the traps at 117 mph. ;)

#63 ·
My son's "fun" ...

An update for my '57 ... Well, being the nice Dad that I am (cough, cough), I let my younger son drive the '57 at the drags Saturday (10/16/2010). He hasn't driven it down the strip in 3 years, not since the new AFR 210 Comp Pkg heads, 3" exhaust, new steering box and Lokar column-shift linkage. The kid is a natural, making 3 passes ... Check these out:
1) 11.506 secs at 117.4 mph ... and he cut a .011 light.
2) 11.44 at 117.8 mph ... and ALMOST cut a perfect light, drawing a -.001 RED!
3) 11.46 at also 117+ mph ... with a "not bad" .06 RT
Three passes within .06 - not too shabby. His best 60-foot was a 1.63 - best ever for the car is a 1.56. The track personnel never said a thing about him going quicker than 11.50 (due to not having a cage). He told me after his first pass "Dad, that is a FAST car!" Ha. The kid had a BIG :D on his face ... I think he had fun. ;)

Go here for a video on YouTube of his 11.46 pass. If you hit the pause/play buttons, you can see how he is leaving before the green comes on. This was his .06 RT. Also ... it looks like the CalTracs are going on next year due to the "too much" weight transfer, causing some porpoising when the car comes back down. The poor 5-leaf wagon springs have been taking a beating and starting to bend near the front spring perches. The CalTracs will help the 60-foots and definitely preserve the leaf springs.

So ... that's the latest on my '57, still runnin' hard! :proud:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.