Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Impala dash in a 57 Truck.

43K views 92 replies 47 participants last post by  Postman57 
#1 ·
I've been reading this site for a while. So I thought I would share some pic's of my last undertaking.

I'm putting a 59 Impala dash in my 57 Chevy Truck! I got the idea from a good friend of mine Bob Ross. He has put htese in several of his cars. He is currently completing his 55 sedan that has a Impala dash in it!

I think they look great in a truck, it reallly makes a custom statement. But I think most people wouldn't notuce the change. I plan to make it look as factory as possble, with exception to the gauges.

Have a look at the pic's and let me know what you think!

Thanks,
JJ

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
JJ,

Nice touch...can't wait to see it all painted up and with gauges in it.

BUDDii

#6 ·
You've got a sharp eye there BowTieman31!

Yes the column is to close to the dash now. I have another van column that I will replace the current one with. I think all I will have to do is extend the overall length from the floor and it will work.

I don't think I'll paint it right away. Just leave it in the current patina.

Here's the one in the 55!

Attachments

#7 ·
Yes the column is to close to the dash now. I have another van column that I will replace the current one with. I think all I will have to do is extend the overall length from the floor and it will work.
Have you thought about using the short one that I think ididit makes. You could mount it on the dash just like the factory did and hook up the rest of the steering with u joints.
Either way the dash looks great.
Rick

#10 ·
Got some more done yesterday. I hope to cap the ends today and fill the radio and ash tray holes. Hope to weld it in solid next week!

Thanks for you comments!

JJ

Attachments

#11 ·
Haven't gotten it done as soon as I had hoped. To many distractions with work and the kids! Did decide to put the ash tray back in, maybe use it for a hidden radio control. Here are a few pics of the SLOW progress!

Attachments

#13 ·
That's going to really look good when you get it all done.... Speaking of transplanting dashes from car to car I saw an early 1930's Ford roadster with a narrowed 55/56 Chevy dash... Thanks for the update on your project.... Later, Dave

#16 ·
A little progress! Worked on the passenger side of the dash extending it just a little, using some metal that was cut from the dash. Trying to close the gap between the end and the A-pillar, not completly just even it out. I tacked on a wider piece and then cut it down to size. Hope to get more down today!

Attachments

#17 ·
Here's one more with the dash just bolted/screwed in. Still need to fine tune a few things before welding it in solid. Check out the shirt my son just happened to be wearing!!!

Attachments

#18 ·
Made some progress today! I got a dash vent of ebay from a 64 Caddy and got it installed today. It looks like it was made for it! In the pictures it looks off center, but it's actually the ash tray that I reinstalled. It's only off an 1/8 in or less. May have to cut the ash tray back out and move it. But with the dash bolted in, sitting on the seat and looking at it, it's not as noticeable. But I know it's there so I may have to move it, if you know what I mean!!

Attachments

#20 ·
59 Impala is the best looking dash ever made! Good choice!

#24 ·
Making progress! The dash is ready for the final install. Have a look at what I've done on the back side. My painter made a suggestion that I paint it white so that it's much brighter and easier to see when your working behind it. I also welded on two tabs on each end to mount some under dash lights. The single leg on each end is there so I can bolt it to the same mounts that the oringanl dash was secured to! The Red paint was applied from a spray can just to cover the back edge that I'm not sure will be accessable once it's in. Got it screwed in across the top ready to weld solid!!

Enjoy the pics and all comments are appreciated!!

Attachments

#26 ·
Well she's in SOLID!! Finished it up late last night. I completly welded it in along the edge and plugged the screw holes. Followed by A LOT of grinding and smoothing of the welds. The hardest part was fabbing a very small patch to fill in the corners by the A pillars where the windshield trim ends.

Today I spent time fitting the Chevrolet trim above the glove box. Had to drill 3 holes for the mounting studs. I like it!

My painter says he will be ready for it on Thursday!! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Here's the pic's!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.