Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

60's gasser

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Str8axle 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 1956 Chev 210 2d wagon that I'm making a straight axle gasser out of; something like you would see in the 60's. I have a 348 Chev "W" motor that has been bored and stroked to 434 ci. I'm not going to do anything to this car that can't somewhat easily be reversed. No cutting the a-frame and no radiusing the wheel wells. My question: I have never seen or done a straight axle before. I've searched the internet and book stores and haven't found anything specifically on installing straight axles. Does anyone know of a website/magazine that could help me? I'd appreciate any direction someone could give me. Many thanks, Carmine.

#8 ·
348 w engine

Hi interested in 348 have one out of 64 truck tell a little more . also building 57 drag car but running rack&pinion 468bb glyde whith trans brake dana60 4.88
Hello, thank you for your response and interest in the 348. Mine is from a 1961 Chev. It was bored .30 over and a 454 BB crank was used to go from a 3 1/4 stroke to 4" stroke. A little machine work had to be done to accomodate the crank inside the block. 396 BB rods were used and the pistons had to be special made by Ross to accomodate moving of the wrist pins. It now has 434 cubes. The bottom end is together and hopefully I'll have it running this summer. I originally wanted just the 409 block because of the cyclinder wall thickness but these were cost prohibitive to me on e-bay. The cyclinder heads are going to be stock cast but somewhat reworked. Edlebrock offers aluminum heads for about $2100.00. The compression ratio is 9 to 1. You can buy a brand new 454 crate motor for what you'll have invested in a 348 but thats not what I wanted for my gasser. Thus far, I have no regrets with this motor. I'll be running a 700 trans. with stock-posi 355 gears from the '56. Its going to be an occassional strip car but mostly show.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Carmine. I'm doing the same thing with my 57 although I can only dream of having a W engine. I'm going to be using a 54 chevy pickup axle because it is about the same wheel base as the trifive. I'm also going to move the rear springs under the frame for more tire clearence. I'm getting most of my info from a website called www.gassersinc.com. These guys are trying to convince me to cut the frame but I don't want to for the same reasons you don't. Good luck on your build and be sure to post pics. I know I will! There's also a member here named DuckusCrapus that has a 55 done up so everything is removable. If he doesn't see this post you can look him up in the members list and PM him.
Rick

#6 ·
Hey Carmine I tryed the site again this morning an could not get on .But I keep looking and found the same place on ebay . Look under the search tab for hot rod plans all categories and you should get in . I ordered three plans I got the straight axle the ladder bar and the tilt nose plans. Let me know how it goes

#7 ·
gasser project

Many thanks to all who responded. I already purchased all the front end parts-straight axle from Speedway. My problem is the installation. It has to be proper and right the first time. Once I weld it in, that can be pretty much it. I don't need steering-stability problems because I didn't know something. It seems that everytime I speak with someone at an event-show about the straight axle, I learn a little more. It makes me wonder how much I don't know. Thats why I was looking for a particular magazine or article re. to this.
Thanks for now and happy motoring, Carmine.

#9 ·
Carmine thats a really cool project, always nice when you can keep the nostalgia alive! Sept 08 Super Chevy Mag had an article on a Jim Meyers front axle kit install, My neighbor has a 55 gasser it amazes me at how well it tracks and handles, good luck on the project!!......Bob

#11 ·
I'm not going to do anything to this car that can't somewhat easily be reversed. No cutting the a-frame and no radiusing the wheel wells. My question: I have never seen or done a straight axle before.
There is no way to install a straight axle without cutting the frame. Most people cut the frame just in front of the firewall and replace it with 2"x4" box tubing. You fish plate it, bull nose it, and install a straight axle (they used to use 48-54 GM AD truck axles fitted with car spindles). Then you get to figure out the steering - a reversed corvair box was a popular choice back in the day.

If you don't want to cut the frame, use the coil springs from a 62' impala wagon with a 409 and balljoint spacers to get the nose up. Many more gassers had stock but raised front suspension than a straight axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.