Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Best way to get Posi?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  55Belair 
#1 ·
I am sure most of us have goe thru this. I now have an old stock 4:11 rear end, non posi, and want to have some thing like 3:55 to 3:73 with posi, 350 HP, with an automatic. Should I have mine redone, buy a complete center section, replace the complete rear end, or what?. I do want to add disc brakes, I would like everything rebuilt when I am done, nothing with miles on it. My other question what do these posi units cost now days?, thanksRon

#2 ·
I think it depends a lot on what you want. What's more important, budget or originality?

I see posi center sections for the freshly rebuild "p" tri-five rear ends go for $800 all the time. Usually they have 3.40ish to 3.60ish gearing I think. Add on disc brakes and you have a fairly expensive, not terribly strong rear end.

Or, you can go the cheap route. A Ford Explorer 8.8 rear is almost always 3.73 geared with Posi, and if you choose the right year they come with disc brakes and the e-brake provisions. It's about a half inch narrower too. Those rear ends go for $350ish. all you have to do is have the right spring mounts welded to the rear end and have the axles/rotors drilled for a chevy bolt pattern. It's a strong rear end, 4X4 guys do the conversion all the time I guess. I think I posted that on trifive someplace else?

I hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.