Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

55 Tail light

4K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  55ron 
#1 ·
As I get closer and closer to finally firing and hopefully driving my car yet this fall I ran into an issue with the original tail light housings. The bulbs fit VERY tight into the sockets. This is on both sides. I blasted the housing in my blast cabinet to clean them up. And then i tried to run a sanding drum on a dremel inside the socket but it is just slightly too large.

1157 will go in but there are really snug. I tried some Halogen bulbs but they is no way they will go in.

Any ideas??

Thank you!!

Ron

#2 ·
I bought aftermarket ones from Resto-world with no issues. Maybe an option?

They do make cone type sanding drums which may help give a enough clearance. Good luck, hope you get it on the road soon!

Greg

#3 ·
#7 ·
I would just go with LED's from DIGI-TAILS. Brighter and safer with no fitment issues. Looks great too!

#8 ·
Thanks everyone!!

I am able to get the 1157 in but not the Halogens that I have. I want to go brighter than original but do not like the look of the Digi-style small LEDs.

I will try to find something smaller in order to open up the curent sockets slightly. I will also check out the 1034 bulbs.

Thanks again

Ron

#11 · (Edited)
There was a brighter bulb then an 1157 but I can't recall the number. The 57 part of the number is the same but the 11 is different. I looked on the net but couldn't find any other bulbs with xx57 number. Maybe they don't make them any more. .:tu:bowtier:

#9 ·
I also don't like the look of the circuit board mounted LEDs.
Check out super bright LED's. They have direct replacements, push and turn.
You can get up to 400 lumens in red, enough to get noticed when you brake.
Less than .3 Amp. Draw.
Red Light Lighting Automotive lighting Car

Jim

#14 ·
Unless your replacing both the front and rear turns there's enough resistance in the circuit to not need a resistor. Did you order the white or red for brake bulb?
It was suggested that the high lumen white was actually too bright and ended up overpowering the lens to the point of light pink. The High Power red bulb, while only 400 lumens creates a nice strong ruby red with the tri five lens. I set mine off with led backed blue dots. Now I've got the crimson I wanted.
Jim

#17 ·
Chrome it

Ron, something I did to my 55 taillight housings to help the brilliance was cover the interior area behind the socket assemblies with chrome contact tape, the cast housing leaves a lot to be desired as far as reflective qualities.:sign0020:
I made paper patterns and cut the chrome pieces from a chrome contact trim sheet I picked up at the hobby shop.
I also don't use the inner, flat red diffuser that is between the outter lens and bulb.
I removed the back-up lenses and replaced them with red lenses that also have a dual element bulb that is wired parallel with the brake/running lights.
I also added the "third brake light" many years ago, but you most likely have done that already.
It doesn't hurt to have plenty of illumination for those behind you to see when you're applying the binders.
:anim_25:with the project.

Later,:burnout::burnout:
Jim

#18 ·
You might try going to the auto parts store and getting an old fashioned battery terminal cleaner. The metal one that looks like a salt shaker where one end is for the post, and then you twist it to pull out a stiff cone shaped wire brush for the inside of the cable clamps. Run the wire brush in the socket and twist. the socket is brass and you might be able to remove just enough of the brass to allow the bulb socket to fit in smoothly.

#19 ·
I have now installed the red LED bulbs and they are MUCH brighter. The bulbs fit in the original sockets with no issues.

The blinkers does not work but I do not have the front lights wired up so hopefully with those bulbs in the resistance will allow the flasher to work. They did blink with standard 1157 bulbs.

Thank you

Ron

#21 ·
I didn't see anyone mention a very important item. You need a electronic flasher for the blinkers to work. There is not enough resistance to heat up the old style flasher to make them flash.

If you have an old style cruise control(I have a Rostra) you need to contact the company to get a relay in the circuit to turn the cruise off when you touch the brakes.:bowtier:

#23 ·
I can't imagine getting any brighter than the 450 lumens Superbright brakes, I'll go for it as soon as I figure out how to measure it and explore Co. law regarding limits on brightness of brake lights.:sign0020:
Jim

#25 ·

#26 ·
As I said earlier, the finish of the reflector area of the taillight housing may not be a factor with LEDs. We may be splitting hairs on this if you upgrade to LED.

Another situation is that the original taillights on a 55 had a flat red lens inside the red outer lens. I don't think many use the flat lens, and they don't even fit inside the repro lenses sold. That flat lens will darken the light output.

#27 ·
Just my preference, I kept the fresnel lens w/ the red Superbright LED bulb. To what degree it focuses the lights I'm not sure, but it does look significantly better when combined w/ the powered blue dots. High power Ruby red and Saphire blue together produces an electric Crimson. Camera can't capture it. Jim
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Night Automotive lighting

Red Light Lighting Automotive lighting Car

#30 ·
Well as it turns out the main is was a nearly dead battery...

The new AAW ignition switch has an acc position and left it in ACC for over a day. With the battery charged it now has enough power to trip the flasher.

It does blink much better now. Just slightly slower I would say. I will check out one of the LED flashers.

Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.