TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy  56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice

TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice (https://www.trifive.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block Install Questions and Answers (https://www.trifive.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Ansen Scattershield Cover (https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207248)

byf41 06-27-2019 08:39 PM

Ansen Scattershield Cover

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure this Is the correct section for this . Im running an old Ansen scattershield on my 56 . When I bought my headers I tried a few and the lesser evil for me was Sanderson . They clear everything fairly well except the massive Ansen scattershield cover . The l/s collector hits It pretty significantly and r/s just barely rubs . I think I can grind the corners off which would render the one bolt on the l/s useless . My question Is , Is there an alternative cover for this bell housing that's not so bulky I could try ? I hate to butcher up my cover , but I know big block Is synonymous with modify . Thanks for any Input guys .

Rick_L 06-27-2019 10:38 PM

That cover is worth big $$$ (at least medium $) to some gasser guy. I wouldn't cut it up, I'd sell it to someone that wanted it worse than you. But that's just me.

The other half of this is that the Ansen bellhousing and lower cover is not legal for any racing association rules. So if you're concerned about a functional, legal for racing setup, you need to get something more modern.

557B210 06-27-2019 10:48 PM

Do you have enough room to pull the headers away from the bellhousing?

nad427 06-27-2019 10:53 PM

I modify about everything I touch, but in this case I wouldn't. Just too valuable IMO. Unless you want to run the car through deep mud pits all the time you don't need one on the car anyway. Many many guys run all around without a cover on regular bellhousings without probs.

Dragsix 06-27-2019 11:32 PM

You would have a hard time finding a replacement cover. On the other hand, headers are not that valuable. I would keep beating the bushes firheaders that fit, or in the alternative, get yourself some big block headers for a trifive, get the car and the headers to a race car shop and they can modify the headers to fit around that cover.

byf41 06-28-2019 08:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Rick It says NHRA approved on the cover , but maybe that license has expired ? Not a factor anyway . I went to this years ago when I desintegrated my stock bell housing , leaving my Muncie In a million pieces on the side of the road . I got to thinking the stock cover might be an alternative . Clears the headers by a mile , and I think just barely clears the ring gear by maybe 1/8" peeking throught that little hole at the bottom . What do you guys think ? Kind of funky looking but I think It may work . That Ansen cover looks tits on there .

Rick_L 06-28-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Rick It says NHRA approved on the cover , but maybe that license has expired ?
They now require an SFI sticker. Not only that, but the sticker has a date and if past the date you have to send the scattershield somewhere and have it recertified. Which is BS because those things don't wear out.

Dragsix 06-28-2019 10:49 PM

Itís a great part to have on your car. Really great.

mr55/56 06-29-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick_L (Post 2250762)
They now require an SFI sticker. Not only that, but the sticker has a date and if past the date you have to send the scattershield somewhere and have it recertified. Which is BS because those things don't wear out.

If you grind paint or in other way modify a SFI Bell its no longer approved. It is just a scam to sell parts for NHRA sponsors and contingences. The only way they wear out is if they are damaged in a clutch explosion. The NHRA is an evil greedy empire,

No Hot Rods Allowed,

Run the tin cover and call it a day.

zookpr 06-29-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byf41 (Post 2250736)
Rick It says NHRA approved on the cover , but maybe that license has expired ? Not a factor anyway . I went to this years ago when I desintegrated my stock bell housing , leaving my Muncie In a million pieces on the side of the road . I got to thinking the stock cover might be an alternative . Clears the headers by a mile , and I think just barely clears the ring gear by maybe 1/8" peeking throught that little hole at the bottom . What do you guys think ? Kind of funky looking but I think It may work . That Ansen cover looks tits on there .

I used to have an Ansen shield in a '57 and had stahl headers on a SBC, no issues, Because they were 60s period parts.

In my Nomad with a BBC, I use a Lakewood scatter shield. I have had multiple headers with no interference. Like Rick_L said, sell your Ansen to someone with a vintage gasser. I recommend using the $$ from the sale to get a Lakewood. I do not use the side mounts (have a x-member), but apparently you do, and the proper Lakewood has the features to use them. Plus, you will have the protection. Don't compromise your safety. Using the Ansen, with less than the complete assembly, provides no additional safety whatsoever.