Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Where is your ECM

13K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  56ls408 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Where are you mounting your ECU?

#7 · (Edited)
Mine is also under the passenger fender, but you have a lot more room on a 57 than a 55/56, if you delete the air ducks.
I'm building a 56 now and plan to put it in the console with the wires going through the firewall behind the engine.
Mine is mounted on a pull out tray. I welded 2 rods to the inner fender and fastened 2 slit pipes to the tray, so I can
remove the panel and pull the tray out for maintance.

Attachments

#13 ·
Yes, this is the LS section! Please keep replies on topic guys, and helpful to original posters questions. I realize ya'll are making jokes and are light hearted but please keep that kinda stuff in the chit chat area. This is a tech area and guys are looking for help and non related replies clutter up the thread.

Thank you
-Scott

#14 ·
I wish my 56 had the kind of room behind the inner fender that the 57 does!

I am mounting mine to the backside of the lower splash shield extension that mounts to the driver's side inner fender. Easy to remove, if it ever needs service, but none of my LS cars have ever needed access to the ECU.

The fuse center will be mounted on the driver's side firewall, underneath the hood hinge.

Regards, John McGraw

#24 ·
I located mine on behind the removable right side wheel house lower panel and have lived to regret it. Am chasing a phantom engine control harness problem and although accessing the ECU isn't too difficult the harness connectors and adjacent harness are really difficult to access. In fact it looks like I'm going to have to remove the fender!
Nobody to blame but myself and I rank that decision as about the worst one I made when installing my 5.3. I don't know where the best location is but wouldn't recommend the one I chose.

Attachments

#41 · (Edited)
I located mine on behind the removable right side wheel house lower panel and have lived to regret it. Am chasing a phantom engine control harness problem and although accessing the ECU isn't too difficult the harness connectors and adjacent harness are really difficult to access. In fact it looks like I'm going to have to remove the fender!
Nobody to blame but myself and I rank that decision as about the worst one I made when installing my 5.3. I don't know where the best location is but wouldn't recommend the one I chose.
My PCM is also mounted in the same position.I haven't needed to access it but once in 6 years when adding wires after a swap from T56 to 4L65E.Only the PCM is behind the panel FP relay & fuses are easily accessible.If it was a 58x system then likely I may have mounted ECM & TCM differently do to the smaller size.

Attachments

#25 ·
Inside under front seat

I used a PCM mount from an S10 for my 2004 computer. It clips into place and has a metal lever to additional security. My fuse box is right next to the pcm. All of this fit without any clearance issues right under the front seat under the driver. The TAC module for the DBW is also nearby on the passenger side. No issues and easy to work on from above.

#26 ·
I found a PCM mount on eBay (don't recall what it supposedly came from). Mounted it in the passenger kick panel area (this pic was while work was in progress):

The PCM and harness came from a van, so the harness length was pretty long. I shortened a bunch of wires, but also still had to lengthen some. Of course, a good bit were deleted, too.

I've deleted heater, so I fab'd a plate from 6 ga sheet metal for the harness pass-through, which doubles as a fuse/relay mount.

I know I'm a hack compared to the beautiful work these other guys do, but it's primary life is at the track. I may eventually clean it up some more (especially if I decide to put the heater back in - driving home from the track in a driving rain storm on a cool spring day can make a defroster desirable). I'd probably keep the PCM location the same and relocate the pass-through.

#32 ·
Will someone enlighten me on the Proper Spelling and definition of ECU.
I was assuming it had something to do with an Electronic Control Unit.
Maybe I should have taken advantage of a Higher Education but it was not to Be!
Not sure how much help higher education would be in this case...

There are several different terms used, all of them "correct" in their own right. Here's my shot at it (and I'm not claiming absolute authority here):

"ECU" - Engine Control Unit or possibly Electronic Control Unit (not typically used by GM, to my knowledge)

"ECM" - Engine Control Module (typically used when the computer only controls the engine)

"PCM" - Powertrain Control Module (typically used when the computer controls both the engine and transmission)

"TCM" - Transmission Control Module (stand-alone transmission controller for electronic transmissions, where the engine either is not computer controlled, or has its own control module)

"BCM" - Body Control Module (to control bodily functions - err, I mean, stuff contained in the vehicle body not directly controlling the engine or transmission - system monitors, gauges, trip/fuel economy readouts, etc.)

There have been various versions and combinations over the years. They have separated out and combined functions over time - can't really say any one covers you in all cases.