Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Securing plates for steering box

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Jims56 
#1 ·
I'm installing a power steering box from CCP. long story short I originally torqued the main nut on the box to 120 ftlbs. When I went to take the nut off I could do it with my 1/2 inch ratchet. I also noticed that the original steering box nut came off very easy. I want to put a Securing plate on under the nut. For those that don't know what it is it's a flat sheet metal plate with tabs that stick out. Once the nut is tight the tabs are bent over,one on the steering arm and the other on the nut so the nut can't spin. Anyone know where I could buy one? Call me paranoid but I take steering components very seriously.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
That lock device you are describing comes in a tube...…..Called Loctite.;)

#7 ·
Some bikes use a similar lock tab to retain the drive pulley nut I have some of them but the ID of the tabs I have is to small for a sector shaft.

If you cannot find what you need in the correct shaft diameter yank my chain with a PM I'll fabricate one for you & mail it to you.

Google search = tab washers

#9 ·
Yeah I guess I am paranoid But this is why. I torqued the nut to 120ftlbs and a few days later had to take the nut off and found it to be maybe 40ftlbs to get off. If it can loosen over a few days and was never even driven I want to be double sure it's going to stay on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.