Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

CHECK THIS LITTLE GADGET OUT

13K views 78 replies 36 participants last post by  rbrewer 
#1 ·
"THOMPSON PERFORMANCE", sorry, don`t know how to do the "link" thing, for carbs.

#41 ·
Now ya got me worried :hmmmm: The consensus is leaning towards snake oil.
Please don't tell me those little blue pills I've been adding to my fuel tank don't really increase the stroke of my Pistons! :sign0020:
Jim

#45 ·
"Fail", in what way?
If a guy is looking to get 100MPG and 2000HP of course it will be a fail. LOL In my case I only want to get rid of that irritating throttle bog, and don't want the cost, headaches, and ugly looks of EFI.

I received my Powerblast plates the other day. Just to be honest the other guys above are right about the cost vs what you get. I can understand the price of research and tooling, but they are really simple little things in a little clear plastic bag. To the eye they look like some kind of fishing gear at first. If they do the job of helping to start vaporization then my outlook and judgement will change. Gotta get my car running again to try one.

#49 · (Edited)
Nad

I chased the Bog on my 58 caddy....friends chased the Bog.....and paid people to chase the Bog.....Drove me crazy.....you are right...$40 for that lil piece of metal....I had my doubts....UNTIL....I installed it.....NICE near perfect throttle response......reminds me of my F.I. Northstar Caddy engine in my STS

Not a miracle,not snake oil....but just better vaporization of the raw fuel before it enters the engine = better throttle response and possible more power from the same fuel

Made a believer outa me and many others.....that's all I can say....

#51 ·
I understand what you're talking about. I've chased that momentary bog for most of my life in every hotrod I've ever had, no matter what carb was on a motor. I of course knew one possible cause and that was due to the ignition mags that I've run, but another more obvious cause was for sure the liquid stream of gas that was squirted out of the pump nozzles. I even tried (as others have) to run a 50cc pump, but it didn't help much and in some cases even made it worse. I just KNEW inside that it was that liquid. That was what got me to daydreaming about how to cure it. As I stated above I came up with all kinds of internal hardware fixes, but never really thought about it the way these brothers have. I'm still not completely convinced, but it sure does seem possible, so as soon as I'm able to try it myself I'll report back with my own facts as you have.

#50 ·
I got mine Friday and installed it today. The little gadget was shipped in a well packed box with fragile stickers all over it.

Won't get to test it out until next week. In the process of removing all the EFI fuel lines and EFI tank and installing standard tank and single line.

BTW my Tanks Inc EFI tank, with installed pump & Classic Instruments float less sender will be up for sale. Only has had about 3 gallons of gas in it. Basically brand new.

#60 ·
I just stumbled upon this thread today. It certainly looks like it *should* make a difference, BUT in their "after" tests they are opening the throttle a little wider most of the time, not to mention the camera seems to try and hide that by not showing or showing less of throttle linkage in the after tests. So I think it will help, but don't expect the same difference as in the video. According to the web site I'd have to change my nozzles and buy two of the more expensive ones. Instead I may try to make one or two. I'm a tinkerer.

#61 ·
I have a friend that installed one a few weeks ago and he said it made a big difference in accelleration off idle. He said he can look down the carb a see the fuel spray out instead of a stream.
All simple devices are not fish oil and I'm sure the price will come down after the manufactureing is farmed out to China. If I ran a carberator, I would probable build one just to try it.

#65 ·
Sometimes it helps to squirt more gas in, sometimes not. If this "snake oil gadget" actually works by transforming a stream into a spray then an age old problem that most all carb guys have endured is now history.

I'm not sure if it'll improve on-road performance or not, I'll just be happy if it gets rid of that aggravating hesitation when you blip the pedal when sitting still.

#69 ·
This little part would cost less than $1 in mass quantities, today. Probably more like $0.25. Maybe $0.10 or less fifty years ago when Edelbrock and Holley carb designs were kind of new.

Don't you think if it really worked they would have put this on our 50+ year old carb designs a long time ago? Or someone would have come up with the aftermarket part that long ago or nearly so?

I still call it snake oil.

You can fix your stumble with different squirter size (fine tune), or with ignition timing (if it was screwed up). Either way is a proper fix that costs less.

#70 ·
If I owned holley or any other carb company....I certainly would want EVERYONE to chase bogs/stumbles and TRY to fine tune my carbs.....HECK YEA I WOULD....CAN you Imagine all THE $$$$ spent on carb kits,needles,jets and squirter nozzles,power valves??....squirter nozzels for Holleys cost roughly $10 ea.....sure,try to convince yourself your so called "proper fix" costs less..........I`ll still swear by the "snake oil".....and by the way.....an invention is something someone else thought of and made......that's what Thompson Eng. did.....you know....invent something...... just because in the last 50+ years no one thought of or made this doesn't mean its not a good idea or doesn't work :shakehands:

#77 ·
I have a Holley DP on my 454. I too had a stumble. I worked w/ squirters, idle adj and accelerator pump cams till it was fixed.
Engines are different in terms of cam, port design, manifold, intake signal, etc. I don't know anything about Edlebrock carbs but I don't expect to pull any carb out of a box and expect it to be perfect. The accelerator pump is a band-aid by design. To think the stumble is a conspiracy by the carb mfg to make you buy additional parts is crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.