Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

These shackles don't look stock?

745 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cortcomp 
#1 ·
I need to put new bushings in my leaf springs, i can see them move a lot when jacking up with the rear end, putting stands in, and then letting down. I figured i'd get to it one of these days.

Well, finally trying to get to it, and looking at pictures, it seems my shackles are WAY longer than what i see online. Also, my springs are pretty flat, and somewhat even bending down. From the outside, the car looks level with one front coil cut, doesn't look to be riding down in the back, at least to me.

Am i correct in guessing that these are worn out springs, and someone put longer shackles in to lift the rear back up?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Definitely look like homemade shackles. My car had similar shackles on it when I bought it and the springs looked a bit flat. When I replaced them with stock shackles I found out that my springs were 3" lowering springs and the previous owner had put the homemade shackles in to raise the rear end up. I like it now with the stock shackles and have lowered the front too. Putting in the stock shackles has also restored some curve into my rear springs too.

#5 ·
So i guess the next question is, what brand does everyone like? I know when i was doing a '50 about 10 years ago, posie super slider springs were the way to go.

I also see guys talking 4 vs 5 leaf, these seem to be 3 leaf? I guess if i'm done and they're too tall i can put a lower block in.

This is my DD and only non-car show car, so i want them to be quiet and comfortable. I guess i can at least look forward to a smoother ride after it's all done?

#7 ·
I figured these were someones bandaid when i saw how straight the spring was. From reading here and other places, i think 4 leaf springs would be the best bet, and summit is close so i can get the global west non-lowering springs and see if i end up near the same ride height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.