Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Gauge | Dial Off Center

635 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  57borntorun 
#1 ·
Guys, I just noticed that the new (kinda) boost gauge bought 7 years ago has an off center dial - before "dicking" with it, how can I correct that? Can I correct that? I googled it, but nothing jumped out.

Autometer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, there ya go being anal again. As long as the needle is in the box just leave it and move on to something else. Once you get to using it that needle is going to be all over the dial, and you won't have time to discern whether it's within a true .00000001, nor would it even matter. lol

#3 ·
Busted! Yes, guilty as charged.

It just bugs the "you know what" out of me.

LOL

I had the gauges installed, but pulled them out to make a few changes including wiring under the dash, that's when I noticed the the dial is shifted to the left. It's not a biggie, but for the price paid, one would expect better from a US made product. Oh well!

Also swapping out the copper line I originally installed on the mechanical oil gauge. I'm not comfortable with the nylon OR copper lines. I prefer AN fittings and a braided line, less likely to cause an issue down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
Nice looking gauge, and it looks as though it was designed to have a little lattitude at the mid point.
Possibly atmosperic pressure might have an effect on it's position similar to an altimeter.
No matter, like mentioned, the gauge will be at other positions in service, so the mid resting point is not critical.
Cool looking line also, neat stuff.

Jim

#6 ·
Nice looking gauge, and it looks as though it was designed to have a little lattitude at the mid point.
Possibly atmosperic pressure might have an effect on it's position similar to an altimeter.

Jim
I kinda wondered that myself. I had a gauge exactly like that in one of my blown boats long ago. Running a boat is far different than a street car because most of the time it's full throttle running though, and at the time I was tempting fate by trying to get as much boost as possible. At one time I was pushing WAY up over 20lbs.

This caused the gauge to swing from one point of the compass to the other, which self-adjusted the needle at it's stopping point. I do remember days when the needle would be in different positions after killing the ignition, and wondering if the atmosphere was causing that.

#10 ·
Duh, I see it now, thanks for setting me straight.
Kinda like I couldn't see the forrest for the trees.
I can see clearly now, the rain is gone.
Like asking a fella what time it is and he tells you how to build a clock.
The dial face is definitely off center, I'll look closer next time...............I think.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.