Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

57 Nomad project

3K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  blown502 
#1 ·
As many of you know, I have wanted a 57 Nomad all of my adult life. I have an opportunity to purchase a 57 Nomad project which appears to have most everything(on first inspection)included(trim, seats,tailgate,engine,trans,glass,etc.) It needs at a minimum new quarters, door repairs, and a set of fenders. Roof appears to be in excellent condition. This car has been stored indoors for at least 25 years.

Any ballpark ideas on value in it's current state?

Is it worth restoring or is a parts car?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I recently was asked about a similar project, it had quarters on it. The price was 5-6K and was to have all the parts. This one has had the quarter skins removed. Problem is that the way they were removed, like the factory installed them now creates a problem. No 57 full replacement NOMAD quarters are made in the aftermarket. The top 12 inches are 100% unique to the 57 Nomad. So you are going to have a major hurdle finding those sections.

Time and money as you know is the way to excise your dream......some would say nightmare......not me however.

Mikey

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
I would never use these parts for a 55 Nomad. I would attempt to restore this first. Would hardtop quarters be adaptable? What is it worth in parts?

#16 ·
The guy who has this car had a set of NOS quarters when he started this job, but they "came up missing" so he gave up on it. 25+ years ago.

#18 ·
Think of the quarters this way. From the front of the quarter stainless and above the B/A insert to the tail fin, nothing from a hardtop, convertible or sedan are the same. You may be able to locate a pair of USED Full Quarters from a 57 2 dr wagon (any model but 210 or B/A are best) and make them work. Even then, some of the attaching points at the top are unique to the NOMAD. Those unique points are MISSING ON THE NOMAD

Mikey

#20 ·
Hopefully you have just this one project and lots of time. It will be a challenge but rewarding as it goes along . Missing parts are your biggest obstacle. Only a few years ago I let go of my 57 Nomad project that was a complete car needing the usual patches for 8500. I feel there are project cars out there and eventually they show up in family estates. Many times health issues force dream cars to be sold. I hope you have no regrets diving into such a project . However I do commend you for saving another Nomad. :anim_25:

#22 ·
These are the photos of the Nomad quarters I can get. What do you think they would be worth?
View attachment 201186

View attachment 201188
They look pretty nice in the pics. Are you sure they are Nomad? They could be 2dr wagon and would be close but there will still be issues at the beltline. Based on the trim markings my guess is they are 2dr wagon.

#21 ·
The title would have some value in itself... is there a title? Otherwise, I agree it can be saved, however it needs a friend with a lot of skills. Sounds like it doesn't scare you, make an offer you can live with. Worst the owner can say is no.

#23 ·
At the very least they could be off a 210 wagon. The photos don't show any door jamb and no upper attachment points. The nomad project showed the original quarter had been removed to save all the full skin, as if they were going to be used an a better project.

These are a start, but still not a 100% replacement the project will need.

Mikey

#24 ·
I am not afraid to tackle the car, as you can see in my sedan. However, it was in much nicer shape, I did replace some of the sheetmetal just because i wanted it as close to perfect as i could get.

I would definitely be interested in the quarterpanels first, before i dealt on the car. i can get the car VERY reasonably. I am going up to do an inventory, and haggle as soon as he gets a new title. His home burned down and the title was in the house.

I don't mind the work.

#25 ·
John, I'm chiming in late on this, and sure you're aware of the issue, but do make sure of the condition of the roof just above the drip rail. The quarter panel area is an obvious issue as has been discussed. Rust in the lower area around the perimeter of the roof starts from the inside, often towards the rear, and is plain miserable to address from inside where it begins. Just understand what the condition of it is as you're assessing your potential project, as well as your offer to buy. JR

#31 ·
These included quarters are just unusable junk from what I can see. They are welded together, poorly, from some repair panels and what appears to be cut off quarters from another car. The repair work and weld look like Ray Charles did it. I don't see how you would use these. I agree with previous poster about the roof as well. Look very closely at the roof and drip rail areas around rear of the top. If the roof happens to be really rusty, its a lot of work to repair, but from the pics, the roof looks OK. Too bad about the quarters.

#30 ·
I know Dave wasn't directing that question at me - if he was I would reply that nearly anything is salvageable given enough time and money - but of course the nub of the issue is 'is it worth it?' - but I was actually thinking about those quarter photos last evening as I was (endlessly) block sanding on my front fenders (what an exciting life I lead....). I was reflecting how fortunate I am that the 'tough' areas of my Nomad are as sound as they are. As I plug onward in time and money on my project, I'm constantly reminded of the extra parts and labor specific to building a Nomad that are required - and summarily, how important it is to start with as sound and as complete a foundation as one can. Is there an inventory of all the stainless and other specific parts? I got burned a little there. Is the liftgate restorable? I am sure I look at this from a talent perspective much less capable than John - and I totally get the lure of a great challenge. But with the added difficulties and costs pre-baked into a Nomad (or convertible) project, and not knowing what the price of that one is, my friendly suggestion would be surely there's another one out there that is more worthy of your time, effort and money. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with either choice. JR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.