Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1956 Nomad/El Camino

5K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  gmvette 
#1 ·
Not mine but interesting. Was done quite some time ago.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
I may be wrong....But, it seems like we had a member that had a car that looked like that....Anyone else remember him?

#13 ·
yes Rmay I believe but at least he didn't screw up a nomad

#12 ·
For 15K that seems like a pretty good deal if it isn't a bondo queen. Putting a factory Nomad roof back on that couldn't be any more difficult than replacing the usual lower body panels with the sketchy aftermarket stuff that's out there. The key would be finding an intact Nomad that's rusted to the door handles as a parts car.

#17 ·
Back in 1978, there was a guy in the neighborhood that had a 55 elco. Back then the car was way cool. Car might have actually been a nomad, it was built in Garland TX. by Mr. T's custom paint and body. Tony was pretty good at chopping tops on everything. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car

Toy vehicle Vehicle Car Model car Magazine

#20 ·
Being a child growing up in the late 60s to late 70s, I love those conversions (elco that is, not the shorty cars, lol). Those conversions were just part of the scene back then. I remember coming across one in a junkyard in the late 70s early 80s thinking that it was pretty cool and that it would be a cool rebuild. Was made out of a regular station wagon. Alas, that one got crushed and hauled away.

#25 · (Edited)
many years ago, early '70s in the Tri-Chevy Assoc. club ILLinois, there was a cut down Nomad made into an ELKY. It was a nicely done job. That fellow got so fed up with the negative comments, he finally put photos inside that showed the original Nomad,........ With the tree on the caved in roof! Of course there were still folks that said fix it, but remember that 50+ years ago things were a bit different.

#27 ·
Well said , things were different back then . "Dare to be Different " is the current phrase. I didn't like the conversions back then and am still not a fan but I respect the talented body guys for pulling it off ,especially when it was done to a pro level. Thinking back I believe there were not too many Nomads available for a donor roof so the elky conversion was a good choice if ones roof was trashed from a tree. jmo.

#26 ·
Having a Nomad with a crushed in roof would be the only situation that would prompt me to cut the roof off a Nomad to make an el Camino, but having said that I actually like their 'look'... much nicer than what Chevrolet produced as el Caminos a few years after the TriFive years~ The one built by Gene Smith many years ago was done so well (in 'original restored' form), if one didn't know better they would have believed it WAS an original '55 El Camino~

... and Yes, I'd Love to have that Gene Smith version in my garage!~ :)

#28 ·
One has the right to do what ever they want with one’s own car. Do you have to like it ....no. But the custom work is one’s taste. Do I like it ...no.

In fact I think the same for a chopped top on a tri five. It sucks. But it’s not my car. Crushed roof by a tree certainly qualify something be done. Not everyone would make the same choice. But no different than a chopped top or putting modern bucket seats in a Nomad. It just one’s taste. IMHO I don’t like either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.