Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

57 Hood 6 Cyl or 8 cyl ?? For Rad install

8K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Dragsix 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I just to verify that my hood is actually a 6 Cyl hood?? I am ready to order a new radiator and want to mount in the 6cyl position and I am anticipating on ordering a Cold Case. I have ready several posts and even seen some FB posts and it seems like it is a hit or miss with the problems of installing the Cold Case radiator in the 6cyl position. I am running a rebuilt 327 and already have installed a long water pump. I also plan on ordering a shroud from East Coast Chevy.
From this information will I have to modify the hood baffle??
I am sorry about the pic but that is the best pic that I have today to show the hood baffle / support.
Thanks in advance

Tony Z

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
Do you have a six cylinder or V8 radiator support?

#10 ·
I just installed the 6 cylinder radiator support. I didn't want to use the offset brackets or plates
You will be home free then....Order that 57 six cylinder radiator from Cold Case.

#5 · (Edited)
The 57 Cold Case radiator has the offset upper hose connection so the hose will pass through the 57 baffle notch. You will need relocation brackets or change the core support to a 6 cyl support. You may need to change the thermostat housing to get a hose to fit better.
There were apparently some Cold Case radiators that had the mounting brackets welded on incorrectly but that has hopefully been resolved.

David, picture shows a V-8 support.

#12 · (Edited)
If that ends up happening, please give a call. Although we have a showroom, we are not open for retail sales at this time. We also would be interested in doing an install for you. Then we can take some pics and show everyone here on the forum how everything fits. 844-REAL-COLD

#11 · (Edited)
I will relay this information only because it may save some wrench throwing. I was talking with jay Hammond yesterday. He had a 6 cylinder support that I needed for my son’s car. He was telling me that he was having trouble with an aftermarket aluminum radiator, with the offset 6 cylinder neck to clear the baffle. Baffle and hose location was fine, hood was somehow hitting the radiator cap. I don’t know whose brand, and I did not see the car it was installed in, but I notice the cold case radiator has the cap in a slightly different location then the stock 6 radiator. Might be just fine and that the unit jay was struggling with is different, but once you get the cold case installed, put a rag on the radiator cap and gently close the hood just to make sure it does not hit.

My original radiator was recored in 1980 and so far it’s doing fine but I know it’s only a matter of time before it springs a leak. That and I may be having an issue with it as it is pushing out fluid into the overflow container but not sucking it back in when it cools down. My old tried and true original may be clogged up and on its last legs. I looked at the cold case radiator, I am fairly certain at last year’s nationals and liked the unit I was looking at. So if the cold case 6 radiator fits in your 57, no interference, maybe you would post back and let us know.

#13 · (Edited)
I am a little bummed that CC radiator doesn't do retail sales, I would have made that trip mid week as I am ready for the radiator now. I have a voice mail into CC radiator this afternoon hopefully I can get my order in on Tuesday. ( I called right at closing time and the customer service representatives were all busy helping others.)
One of the reasons that I am choosing the Cold Case Radiator was that they had very good customer service as noted in other posts that I have read.
I will post up pics of the install as I progress through it and If I have any issues I will contact CC radiator.

#14 ·
Sorry that happened. We've got several shows coming up this weekend as well as vacations. Pretty depleted staff today and will likely be on and off like this the rest of the Summer. We're not that big of an organization but literally the entire crew are knowledgeable, long time automotive enthusiasts. I guess that's the trade off.

That being said, whether I am in the office or not, I pretty much check my PM's every day. Shoot me a PM with the specifics and I'll make sure we get you taken care of tomorrow.

#15 ·
Sorry that it took me so long to follow up on this post, however I just recently completed installing the new engine, rebuilt Muncie 4spd and new a Cold Case Radiator mounted in the 6cyl. position.
I Drove into town tonight and I am very happy with the radiator with the way it cools and looks. The engine is running with a 180 degree thermostat, and runs about 170 degrees while cruising and when stopped for several minutes just shy of the 180 mark.
The particulars of this setup, SBC 327, mild 375 HP, long water pump with a 4" spacer and 6 cylinder radiator support installed. The fan blade is steel with 6 blades ands it about 2.5" from the radiator.

I did not manage to get the Danchuk shroud all worked out, I struggled with the brackets and getting the fan blade positioned correctly. My plan here is to get a little help from a local fabrication shop with the offset brackets.The radiator fit in with no problems and no issues with closing the hood or clearance with the hood baffle, that was my biggest concern from reading older posts.
One of the hiccups that I had was the getting the right pulley setup but after a couple of visits with the guys at Ol 55 I was all hooked up with pulleys and radiator hoses. While I am not 100% complete and I still have some items to tidey up, I couldn't be happier with the outcome so far.
Thanks for all ideas and support!!

Tony Z

Attachments

#17 ·
Thanks for the update. I'm about to do the same with mine. I didn't realize there were so many issues with the 57 until I went thru a ton of reading here. Good to know someone found their way out of the mess LOL Did you already have a 6 cyl radiator support in yours or did you change that out? Don't happen to have the numbers for the hoses you ended up using do you?

#18 · (Edited)
Its not really a mess, its just being familiar with why certain parts on a 57 were engineered in the way that the were. The hood on a 57 is lower then on a 55-56 so to get the 6 motor in, and a radiator in, the engineers moved the upper hose connection to the side where there was more room, and notched the hood cross baffle to allow the upper hose to pass over the radiator support bar without interfering with the hood.

So you cant use a V8 radiator in a radiator support for a 6 cylinder unless you notch the hood cross baffle or install one of the baffles that is already notched.

On the other hand, to make the job as simple as can be, you use a 6 cylinder radiator support and a 6 cylinder radiator.

My car is an original 6 cylinder car, with a 6 cylinder still in it, lol. My original radiator was at the end of its service life so I replaced it with a Cold Case unit. Bolted right in, no issues whatsoever, no hood issues, and the stock 6 cylinder preformed hoses fit as they should. So if you want to install a new radiator in your car, and want to install that radiator in the 6 position, a Cold Case Radiator will do the job.

Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Compact car

#21 ·
#22 ·
The cold case radiators, both 6 and V8 are the same capacity. However, that capacity is actually a larger capacity then the stock factory V8 and 6 radiator.

You can install the 6 radiator in a V8 saddle, you just have to use the aftermarket plates that move the radiator to the front side of the saddle. You could also make your own conversion plates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.