Before pulling the tires off for paint today, I figured I better do some measuring and make the final cuts for the radius. I bent up two pieces of 1/4" round stock and then clamped it to the fenders as a pattern. I penciled along the inside edge of both fenders and then with my small parting disc I carefully made the cut. It came out great and wont need much final grinding until after I weld the 1/4" on the inside edge of the cut.
And I cut the front drop off the fender also. Even with the body and no corner rounded for now. I'll carefully round the corner with a flapper disc so I can look at it as I go. I cut the original radius closer than I thought! Wasn't much removed on the final cut! Just these two slivers!
Then under the car to begin the horrible task of painting. I started with a 3" roller and then used paint brush to get some tough spots. Ran out of steam after about 5 hours, so need to come back tomorrow and get the rest of the tight spots with a brush and rattle cans. Also need to clean the rear axle and I'll rattle can the whole thing black. Not sure if I'll use the stock differential cover, or not yet? But I wont paint it for now.
My trunk was still tacky inside today. The cooler temperatures make for very slow drying times! I ran the small portable heater while I worked today until I couldn't stand the warm air. Had it set for 70 degrees, but when I'm working it's just too much. So I'll just let it take a few days to dry if that's what it needs.
I did a punch list last night, just for fun. The more I wrote, the more I realized how much is still ahead of me! I quit at around 40 items, and I know there's much more!
I don't make those 'lists' they just depress me. LOL
Speaking of differential covers. I've liked this brand and style very much, in black or cast. Very similar to the T/A ones, but much more attractive for some reason. Expensive buggars though. The fill and drain function is really nice.
I've looked at those Dan, and tempted. They have the nice drain feature, and the two screws to help support the bearing caps. But the differential is going to be pretty tough to see unless somebody is way back, or on their hands and knees to look at it. A lot of bling that will likely never be seen by most.
I was contemplating pulling a cover off one of the Thunderbird/Cougar '89-'98 that have the aluminum cover with the filler. No drain plug, but as rarely as I'd drain it I'd drop the cover.
Got so caught up in working on the '39 today that I lost track of time. Missed our car club Tuesday night get together at the local pizza parlor. But it was worth it as the day was pretty productive.
I got out the paint again and finished up painting the undercarriage, including the rearend. Then made up the mounts for my rear axle snubbers and got those mounted to the frame rails. Happened to be a 3/8" body bolt right where it needed to go, so used that as an easy mounting bolt for one hole.
After that I removed the drag link and tierod and hung both up to shoot paint on them too. Then I cut the 1/4" rods I bent for the rear fender radius, and fit them to the openings. A few hundred tiny little tacks later they were on and I ground the welds all smooth.
I got to looking at the inside of the fender where the rod sits against the fender, and figured the round rod left a perfect place for crud to sit and maybe rust. So mixed up a little Duraglass and ran a bead all along the rod inside to make sure anything will run off and not sit in there.
Never got to fabbing the front shock mounts, but ordered a pair of shocks for a late 50's Chevy 1/2 ton.
After applying the burl wood vinyl to one end of the dash it became pretty apparent that it was going to be a bit too much. Plus it looked like it might need a chrome trim strip to edge it and look finished. So I scaled down and just put the gauge panel and clock blank off plate in burl wood. Just enough to offset the ivory and give some contrast.
The old radio doesn't work, but I kinda like the look of it, so I'll keep it in the dash and hide another CD player under the seat.
Got all my brake lines bent up, double flared and terminated. Only forgot one fitting while flaring ends, and it was long enough to trim the flare off and slip a new fitting on before flaring again. I'll have to start at the master cylinder and tighten all the fittings later, but didn't want to do it today.
And a picture of the front suspension and those painted tierod and drag link.
Lookin' good Vall....Some nice looking bends on your brake lines buddy
Thanks! The one going from driver's side T to right side wheel was 10 bends and of course that's the one I forgot to put the connector on when I made the flare end. I was afraid I'd have to do all those weird bends again, but got lucky with just enough length to make it.
Running around today, so not much got done on the '39. But I did pull the gauge panel out and pre wire it all so it will only take a few wires hooked up to complete it later. I like to run a ground wire to each gauge and not depend on the panel to ground all the gauges.
Ugh. Sanding on the firewall today, and dust everywhere. Also pulled the '52 Pontiac steering wheel and figured since I was spreading filler, I'd repair it and sand it also. It's got sun baked rash on the top outer rim, and a few dings. So filled and sanded them all and gave it a coat of 2x primer. Gave the firewall a couple coats also, and will sand some more tomorrow.
My front axle came with the lower shock mounts gone. They want $65 a pair for original mounts for the axle lower bracket, so I built some out of heavy 2" angle iron. When my shocks arrive I'll use the lower stud that comes with them and weld it into the lower mounts. Need to build upper mounts, but waiting until I have the shocks and can look at travel before I build them.