Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

LS engine mount adapter - Steel vs Aluminum

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Rick_L 
#1 ·
Need to get a LS engine mount adapter. (I currently have Earl Williams SBC side mounts with the engine in the 3/4 forward position.)

I have a LS3 I am swapping and I am wondering if I should be looking at getting steel vs the aluminum engine mount adapters.

ICT has a real nice looking aluminum engine mount adapter for $35. (That's hard to pass up)

A steel one is double the price (Dirty Dingo).

Are the Aluminum ones strong enough? (Again I have a LS3 which I may cam in the future but I do not plan on going after crazy HP).

#2 ·
l have the ICT adapter plates on mine set 3/4" forward they work fine but after installing a set of Earl Williams mounts on a customers SBC 57 convertible I would highly recommend contacting Earl & ask if his LS adapter plates would work with the EW frame brackets in yours now way more expensive but they are a nice piece that will allow you to have some sideways movement that's helps with header to steering box clearance

#4 ·
Earl Williams doesn't sell a adapter plate, he does sell a LS bracket which I could use but looking at it, it does not have the 3/4 forward option (causing me to need to shorten my drive shaft).

So I am planning on still using the entire Earl Williams SBC side mount brackets but adding the Adapter plate between the engine the and Earl Williams SBC mount.

#3 ·
aluminum is fine they are strong as you could ever need with any kind of ls3

#6 ·
guess what i should have said was if the frame portion was the same as what you currently have in his LS kit using the motor portion might give you side to side movement I knew he only made the LS mount kit & i thought like the SBC mounts the motor portion could be switched from side to side to move the engine forward maybe that isn't the case sorry for any confusion I mentioned that due to my own install using patriot headers that i ending up denting the #3 tube to gain any clearance with the 500 box & i hate that to the point a couple months ago i ordered Hookers but after 6 weeks on back order I canceled the order good luck with your install

#7 ·
No worries about confusion...
When I ordered the SBC mounts (if you flip them then you get 3/4 forward vs stock). The "base" bracket you mount to the frame is the same between the SBC and LS kits. I can get the LS mount, but then it would push my engine backwards 3/4 of a inch...

I like the side to side play you get with the kit.. Know I am wondering when I put the adapter plates on, with it lift my engine or will it push the mounts outwards and I'll lose the wiggle room for moving the engine side to side.
Hummm.

I'm gonna go with aluminum plates (as this has become a very expensive endeavor).

#8 ·
If you already have side mounts for a traditional V8, you can use the adapter plates and the engine will remain very close to the same height in the frame. The plates do not raise it which would be a problem.

"How far forward" is a bit of a challenge with an LS. I had 3/4" forward traditional side mounts and ended up with a Hooker 1-1/4" forward adapter plate. The passenger head clears the firewall by the thickness of my finger - which is just right for me.

If you are considering the Earle Williams LS mounts, I would ask Earle where that places the engine fore/aft. But I would guess they put it just where mine is.

As far as aluminum vs. steel, I've wondered why more aren't aluminum. After all, the friggin' block is aluminum on all the car LS engines.

#10 · (Edited)
"How far forward" is a bit of a challenge with an LS. I had 3/4" forward traditional side mounts and ended up with a Hooker 1-1/4" forward adapter plate. The passenger head clears the firewall by the thickness of my finger - which is just right for me.
Oh, you have me concerned now....

Rick are you saying since you had 3/4 forward mounts already and you added a 1-1/4" forward adapter plate, the LS engine ended up 2" forward from the original engine postion?

I was trying to mount the engine so that the trans/driveshaft would remain at the same location .
On the the 57 if I swap in the LS, I'm gonna need to move the engine forward to clear the firewall aren't I???

#9 ·
if for some reason I ever need to have the engine out of mine i certainly would consider replacing the mounts with the Earl Williams i was so impressed with the SB ones i put in a 57 for a customer & only glanced at the LS set but they looked like a quality mount as is all of his parts I to would like to know where they position the engine as I wouldn't want to have to change a lot to go that route Not my plan to have it out any time soon though

#11 ·
My combination with the 3/4" forward traditional mount and the 1-1/4" forward LS adapter plate did just that, the transmission did not move and the driveshaft length was unchanged. This from a setup that was 3/4" forward with a traditional engine. Be aware though that the bellhousing is deeper on transmissions that came with LS engines.

The reason for this is that the bellhousing mounting surface on an LS engine is forward of where it is on a traditional V8. The traditional V8 has a "shelf" that extends rearward from the back of the heads. The LS engine does not have this "shelf".

#12 ·
My combination with the 3/4" forward traditional mount and the 1-1/4" forward LS adapter plate did just that, the transmission did not move and the driveshaft length was unchanged. This from a setup that was 3/4" forward with a traditional engine. Be aware though that the bellhousing is deeper on transmissions that came with LS engines.

The reason for this is that the bellhousing mounting surface on an LS engine is forward of where it is on a traditional V8. The traditional V8 has a "shelf" that extends rearward from the back of the heads. The LS engine does not have this "shelf".
I am currently utilizing a Quicktime Bellhousing, for my T5 Magnum.
My plan was mate that to the back of the LS (as the mounting bolts all should line expect one).
I am really confused, with keeping the existing bellhousing, does the trans need to come forward or not???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.