Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Budget Build 454 over 700 HP cost $2403.00

45K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  markm 
#1 ·
#4 ·
The price is right but I seriously wonder how long that bottom end or timing chain will last in that motor. Even with the NOS removed, I'd bet that thing wouldn't last a year without exploding due to old parts being used in it. One could take that recipe they made, add a cheap Scat/Eagle reciprocating assembly, some new bearings and decent true roller chain, and you'd still be in the 4K range for a stout little street motor that would then last.

I'm not trying to poop on what is truly a cost efficient engine build, but I'm also not an advocate of using junkyard motors unless their gonna be completely rebuilt. Too many of them out there that are scabbed together to build cars that are then sold to unsuspecting buyers thinking the motor's good when it is not. BDR's recent purchase of the Viper Blue car is a good example of this process.

Still gotta respect the numbers they hit, but you wouldn't get me dropping that into a car.

#5 ·
Show me any place in Connecticut you can buy a good complete big block Chevy motor in a junk yard for 200.00 and I'll but 10 of them. That price is just fiction around here. Even if you could build a big block for 2500.00, I wouldn't put much stock in it staying together for to long unless you don't drive it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.