Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Weld issue, help please

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  iveys57 
#1 ·
Reworking the exhaust and tail pipes. Originally just had leaking beads joining sections of the 2&1/4 pipes. Pipe is aluminized, surface sanded away before weld. Trying to blend all the joints using Lincoln SP 135T and flux core.
Can not get rid of little cavities in the build up. Tried cross bead layer build, varied amperage, I fill them in and flap wheel to contour but more show in other spots.

Maybe my wire has sucked up some moisture? Any welders have an idea what's happening. I'm not making progress.

Attached is the thousand words.
Rust Tree Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system

Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
I actually don't see much wrong in the photo.

The flux in your flux core wire does soak up moisture over time. Just like the flux on stick welding rods, where you should store them in a dry place, and/or bake the moisture out in an oven. Because the flux is enclosed in the center of the wire, it's not as much at risk than those stick rods, but it still can happen.

#3 ·
Thanks Rick,
I just got a confirmation on moisture soak over on Welding Web.com forum.
They call em worm holes. I kinda didn't suspect it as we are pretty low humidity, however there is a sauna in the garage. Don't get much wetter than that.
I'll dry it out when we get back from vacation, 30 days in Maine.
Thanks again.
Jim

#8 ·
Ditto on gas shielding as best result. When I used flux cored mig wire I always tried to fold a tight 180 on the end of the wire after welding and prior to setting up for a period of time. I believe the folding 'seals' the core somewhat. Of course storing in a gas filled gallon sized zip-lock back does not hurt either. And to think, when I was a kid I welded up custom exhaust with coat hanger and an oxy/acetylene torch and was happy with the results. Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.