Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

steering boxes for 57

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Dean 
#1 ·
Is the Borgeson box the same size as the CPP500?

#2 ·
I have NOT used either box.The CPP is made in China.They have a bad rep now because of their badly designed pitman arm,and its repair.The Borgeson box I believe starts with a US made box that they rebuild.I think I would go US made.Borgeson has been making steering parts for 100 years.China wasn't making anything 45 years ago.

#6 ·
Steering box for tri fives

Without a doubt the best steering for your car is a power steering box from Concept One. They are out of the south I just don;t recall where. But I got my tip from a company that restored 55-57 cars and this is the only power steering they use. When I sold my car the buyer told me that the steering in my car was absolutely amazing and thats why he bought it. Check it out. There are problems with ccp and others

gary

#10 ·
Steering box grease

I believe the original steering box on my 1957 Nomad had differential grease (90W) in it (the standard non-powered box. Many years ago I changed to wheel bearing grease, as the 90W leaked and the grease didn't. Recently, I noticed one parts supplier recommended wheel bearing grease in their rebuilt boxes. What is correct? (I must admit I am not enthusiastic and removing and replacing the box.)

Thanks,

Frank.

#11 ·
I believe the original steering box on my 1957 Nomad had differential grease (90W) in it (the standard non-powered box. Many years ago I changed to wheel bearing grease, as the 90W leaked and the grease didn't. Recently, I noticed one parts supplier recommended wheel bearing grease in their rebuilt boxes. What is correct? (I must admit I am not enthusiastic and removing and replacing the box. Frank.
Yes, wheel bearing grease is the correct lubricant...A service news bulletin came out in 1957, making the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.