Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Confusing 55 vin issue-Canada link

95K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  carllogan 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I just bought a 55 210 post. It had been imported here about ten years ago. (Australia) I got the import approval paperwork with it that matched the single body tag. It has no vin plate that i can find. It does have two holes drilled on the LH side of the car in the door jamb, but it appears as the origional paint has never been marked by a tag, spotwelds or rivits?
The tag reads - General motors of Canada - model 10-11 - serial - 51011641758 - engine - 76730 - trim - 503 - body serial - 3870 - paint - 551.
The car is very origional in appearence with origional paint (medimum to dark metalic blue) 71000 miles. Two tone cloth trim (blue and white) No engine to verify the engine number. I am expecting that the tag is from something else BUT, the most interesting thing is there is a number "51" that has been marked in the centre of the firewall as per what you would expect find from the assembly line. The paint on the firewall is very faded but still intact. The number is actually a rust stain where the paint has come off and it would have left exposed metal. So, is it possible that the 51 on the firewall was supposed to match up to the first two digits on the body tag??
Is there a different system in Canada? Any ideas would be great. Thank you,
Jason

See less See more
#36 ·
Made in Canada 57

My 57 210 sport coupe, 2 DR HT was made in Canada. I been thinking about selling it, or sell my 56 BA sport coupe, whitch ever would be the easiest sell and I'm not real sure of the values, or where to market them. Both are great looking and great shape with very minor mods on 56 , and the 57 has a pumped up 305, 4sp.
It would seem to me that the car from Canada would be best advertised in BC, but who knows??
I welcome your coments.
T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.