Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

New Floor Interferance with Frame

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  oldchey57 
#1 ·
Installing a one pc. new floor on 55 Hardtop. Placed new floor on frame to insure all mounting holes from floor to frame line up. Well all the mounting holes line up except for interference at the rear two holes under rear seat. The sheet metal formed pockets which also have the mounting nut and the sheet metal under it, which is part of the floor. Have interference with the frame on the outsides of the formed pockets. The sheet metal touches the frame and even with the mounting pads installed it still touches. Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do to eliminate the metal from touching the frame. Any help would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Are you saying the floor section is hitting the frame above the mount, or the hole in the floor, for the bolt to engage the nut plate, is not centered in the hole in the mount on the frame.

If it is the later, I have seen it. You will have to make sure all the other frame mounts are in the best position possible. Sometimes moving the floor one way or the other will allow ALL TO FIT.

If not, adjust the best you can, and then enlarge the frame mount hole so it will meet the nut insert properly. Remember this is a replacement part and as such some adjustment WILL BE NECESSARY.

Mikey

#6 ·
The bolt alignment from the frame mounting into the nut in the floor lines up perfectly. However when you install the rubber mounting pads and etc. there is still a gap between pad and bottom of the floor. the curved part of the floor pocket on the outside edges hits the metal of the frame. Its like the formed pocket was made too wide thus interfering with the frame and touching it.
All the remaining mounting holes on the frame line up pretty good with the floor one pc. floor pan. I'm thinking, LOL, that I may have to midify the pocket on the floor pan to get rid of the interference.:bowtieb:

#7 ·
Measure from the outside of the from rail to the fold of the floor pan where it will be welded to the inner fenderwell. Post that and I will compare it to a floor I have mounted on a frame, here in my shop. If the frame rail is to close the the center line of the car, this may be the reason.

I've worked with several floors and not had this issue.

Mikey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.