Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Let's see if we can rebuild a 57 wagon!

65K views 318 replies 56 participants last post by  SeeTheUSA 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, Google+ stopped hosting photos.
So, I`m recreating this thread using IMGBB.

Diamond in the ruff but with a little elbow grease ,and a lot of money, it should make a good daily driver.

OK, its my first build since the 80's and my first 57' Chevy build ( always built f**d's before),
so any and all advise and constructive criticism are welcome.
The plan is to get all mechanical issues resolved and make a reliable daily driver out of it then work on the "Bling" ( paint, chrome, interior).

Phase One, Discovery.
Disc brakes up front. Not sure what brand they are but they work great.

Original drum brakes on the rear.
Looks like they have been in a "Time Capsule".
EBrake works but the cable is rubbing on the exhaust. Wagons came with 5 leaf springs.

Utilitarian master cylinder. Not pretty but gets the job done.

I'm guessing a two inch drop spindle and maybe cut springs. It sure rides low in the front.

Air shocks on the rear.
Classic 70's set up for a low nose and a high rearend. Needs a shock bar.
Looks like the rear end is original

605 power steering, makes a little noise.
New belt should take care of that.
Steering column wiggles a bit.
I think it is missing a rubber gasket where the column mounts to the dash.
Not real happy with the turning radius, disc calipers might be interfering.

Numbers indicate a 68' quadrajet.
Choke is missing, guess it didn't need one in Arizona.
Numbers on the exhaust suggest a 68' to 70' model 350 engine.

Well, thats a good start.
Got to have it running good for Pigeon Forge, and hopefully looking good for the Tri Five Nationals in Bowling Greene.
Better stock up on GoJo!

See less See more
Reactions: 57R’villeHT
#3 ·
:anim_25: on your project....Looks like you are off to a good start....See you at PF or BG :shakehands:

#13 ·
Thanks Hafrod, I knew someone on Trifive would know what they are. I'd really like to put a set of 14" wheels back on the car so I can run a set of original BelAir wheel covers. I see where Ecklers and Coker have 14" wheels that are supposed to clear a disc brake rotor. Now I can tell them exactly what caliper I'm running. Got to love TriFive!

#15 · (Edited)
Quick update.
Decided to get a little help on the build to move things along a little quicker.
Johnny and Eric down at Dixie Dream Rods are going to do the dirty work for me so I can have more time to do the fun stuff.

Car in the shop, taking out the old, getting ready for the new.

Decided to replace the 605 power steering with a new 500 box from CPP.
The old steering column was haggeld on the end so a new IDIDIT tilt column is going in.
That means the old Grant steering wheel has to go.
Looking at repo style wheel, maybe a little smaller than an original.

The old quadrajet needed a lot of work so a new carb was put in, might rebuild the quad later.
Preparing the firewall for vintage heat and air, need a new pulley set and brackets.
Still had the original radiator in the 6 cylinder position, that has to go, gonna need more cooling capacity.

Found a little surprise in the rear passenger side wheel well.
Looks like a PO "kludged" a quarter panel repair.
Got to admit, the quarter looks great on the outside.

Front end is also being rebuilt, hopefully new front springs will bring the front end up a bit.
Only had 4 inches clearance at the cross member. Getting the wiring harness replaced as well.

Registered for Pigeon Forge today. Only four months away, I got to get back in the garage! :)

#18 · (Edited)
Well, 14" wheels and belair wheel covers were the original plan. Looked at the 14" repo wheels that are supposed to clear disc brakes, they work BUT, the tallest tire I can find is only 26 1/2". Not tall enough for my set up. So 15's withdog dish covers are a good option. Probably wind up with Cragers or corvette rallies, If the money tree holds out.
:sign0020:

P.S. That reminds me, I looked for a 15" ( and /or 16") repo 57 bel air wheel cover and could not find one. They repo different size steering wheels, why not wheel covers? I'll buy the first set if any manufacturers are listening.....!!!!!

#20 ·
A "kludge" is a is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, difficult to extend and hard to maintain, yet an effective and quick solution to a problem.
See this link;
http://failblog.cheezburger.com/thereifixedit?ref=navbar

The kludge on my car is holding out the quarter panel to keep it straight.

#53 · (Edited)
.......... Have fun, they are great cars and easy to work on...........
Let the fun begin! :) Been driving the old wagon hard trying to find all the weak spots. Well, I found one. Heard a new noise going down the road, got home and saw rear end fluid leaking on the drivers side.

Pulled the wheel, took off the bearing holding plate, flipped the brake drum around leaving a little slack on the studs to make a makeshift slidehammer, a couple of pops on the drum and Viola! Axle slid right out, just like the good old days.

The race was chewed up but the bearings and the shaft were still good. Caught it early.

Down to the parts store, no bearings but the kid behind the counter ordered a couple. ( I had the number ready but he got it right on his own the first time !) National RW-307-R (made in china , we will see how they hold up) $77 apiece , not like the good old days. :(

The bearings came in next day so next up, Hudlows. That's the local rearend shop here in Rossville. They cut the old bearings off and pressed the new ones on. They do mostly 4X4 stuff but was happy to talk about trifives and the up coming Coker show.

Long story short, the old wagon is mobile again. Let's see what else we can break! ( I think I hear a lifter rattling a little. We'll save that for another day.)

#22 ·
Hey John, You are right. The disc brake kits normally set the front wheels outboard a little. The wider track makes for a larger turning radius. Most kits are 1/2 to 3/4 inch wider.

If you decide to back to a stock spindle let me know I have a very nice original set.

Great looking wagon and I'm looking forward to seeing you/57 this spring.

:shakehands: Blake

#23 · (Edited)
Quick update on the old wagon....

500 PS box in place...

Vintage heat and air installed under dash....

Finishing up the wiring under the dash, ididit steering column painted and ready to install.
Still looking for the right steering wheel....

Got a new set of 14" wheels that clear my disc brakes!
Picked up an excellent set of OEM bel air wheel covers from Blake (B/MP).
( He even threw in a set of stock spindles, can't beat the Trifive community! )

Getting there, one piece at a time...

#25 · (Edited)
Getting there.....

Ididit column painted and installed.

Walker copper radiator installed. Pusher fan added for the vintage heat and air.

New pulleys, short water pump and alternator moved to drivers side to allow for vintage heat and air compressor.

#33 ·
I was wondering what length column you ended up using? I am in the middle of putting in the same system. Currently have a 32" tilt column looks a little longer than stock.

Getting there.....

Ididit column painted and installed.

Walker copper radiator installed. Pusher fan added for the vintage heat and air.

New pulleys, short water pump and alternator moved to drivers side to allow for vintage heat and air compressor.

#27 · (Edited)
Let's get this project off the ground!!!!!

New front springs, new kyb shocks, new rubber brake lines.
Had a bent lower A arm , replaced that.
New ball joints and tierod ends ( Moog).

Old gas tank out ( it had a bit too much rust inside )New tank going in. New sending unit.
Might need to re arch the springs. Tail pipes run under the rear axle by previous owner, will have to re rout those.
( bad pic, I'll get a better one later ).

Getting Coker wide whites this week. Going to need a bigger money tree! :)