Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Headers

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  copymutt 
#1 ·
Does anybody besides Hedman make a set of headers that clear the clutch linkage on '56 2drht ? I'm running a small block that has hugger headers and
have a interference problem with the drag link.

Rayzor

#2 ·
All the "premium" long tube headers should work with the original clutch linkage. Earle Williams, Dougs, Hooker. But check with them before you buy. All the ones I'm thinking of require side mounts, a trans crossmember, and removal of the frame brackets for the bellhousing mounts. Hooker and Hedman have "old school" full length headers that clear the bellhousing mount brackets and clutch linkage, but they have less ground clearance. 3/4 length stuff is less predictable, as some brands are inconsistent about fitting the car, let alone clutch linkage. "Shorties" and "block huggers" are more universal and may or may not fit with clutch linkage but may have other problems.

#3 · (Edited)
I just finished putting together my 57 with Patriot H8050-1 headers. It is a small block Chevy, side motor mounts, stock location with a Muncie 4-speed. The Patriot headers worked great for the clutch linkage and z-bar. In general, I was very happy with the way the Patriots fit.

Here is a picture of the before I installed them and you can see that the #7 tube curves back to make room for the clutch linkage....

#4 ·
I just finished putting together my 57 with Patriot H8050-1 headers.
Did you have to remove your frame brackets for the bell housing mounts?

#8 ·
Original steering box on mine. Cleared??? Close but I did have to make one small "adjustment" on the number 5 tube. I used the CPP side mounts and while they are close, I think the engine ended up further to the driver side than it should have been. I could have pulled everything and moved the mounts over a bit and made it clear but it was close enough for me as I am not building a show car.

#9 ·
I've installed 3 sets of full length 1.75" headers including the 8050. All hit the manual box. I went with Doug's which resulted in a combination of slightly dinging the headers and shifting the motor towards the passenger side .25". Headers fitment can be quite frustrating.

I look forward to seeing the headers installed on your ride. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#10 ·
I don't plan on using side motor mounts - right now the header ext pipe had to be fabricated at a 45 deg. angle in order to clear the drag link - this causes the right side to load up when starting - I have to rev it up to clear. After driving it clears but its eating up the performance. From what other members are telling me it appears not to be as simple as installing a ready made - perfect fit header ?????

Rayzor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.