Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

57 Dash Clock Know How Advice Wanted.

50K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  angs1957 
#1 ·
I'm trying to clean and test a clock from a 57.

It's not in the dash..it's a spare. I need help removing the stem knob used to adjust the time...and advice on how to hook up the clock to check to see if it even works. Since I haven't removed mine in the dash...I'm not even certain about terminals for the electrical hook up on the back.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I think the knob on the stem unscrews. I'm not sure, but I think you can hold the stem with needle nose pliers whild unscrewing the knob.
The shell of the clock grounds it, so hook the shell to -12 and the terminal to +12 and you should hear it wind for a second. When the clock runs for a few minutes, the spring unwinds, a contact closes inside the clock and it winds again. http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-5.gif

#3 ·
Dash clock

Hi, if any help, I have taken the same clock as you have from my 57 Bel Air, it was not working when I bought the car, so I took mine apart,

So here goes, the time adjuster knob is removed by a quick flick turn anti clockwise, its got a clockwise thread on it! as you adjust the time, it tightens up the knob! if it wont budge, dont pull it in any way, just a slight spray of WD40 and keep trying, inside is a sprung wound relay with a set of contact points inside, just like a dissy! as the spring unwinds, it makes contact with the points, that makes a circit, and it rewinds again and again, the clocks 9 times out of 10 are found to have the spring broken, and the points burnt out! and they are unrepairable unless you are clock or watch maker!and the springs and points are harder to find than winning the State Lottery! Danchuk do a replacement clock the same as original, but very, very expensive, or a digital look a like, at a fair price,

Right now to test the clock,,,, just hook up a live wire from a spare battery, or from your car, to the one wire coming from the clock and earth (ground) the casing, if it is going to work give it a light tap to get it started, you will then hear the spring start to wind up! if it dont its bust! you can look inside and see what I am talking about, but I bet you say "no way" and leave it.

My spring was ok, and the contact points just dirty, so a light clean, slight WD40 and its perfect, BUT I have never connected it up as an every day clock, it just sits there in the dash, I know its working, and thats how its staying, to find a good working one is as hard as finding your wife changing the engine oil! good Luck, Johnny G,
from the UK, of all places to know about Chevy dash clocks, its a small world!

#4 ·
I thought about a full dissassembly of my clock to clean and oil it but decided to do a small shortcut instead. One of my many hobbies is pocket watches. When I clean these I take them apart and clean all the parts in a sonic jewelry cleaner then dry them thoroughly reassemble and with barely a drip of oil on my watch oiler which is like a needle I oil the gears at their jewel points and done. Over oiling can cause a clock not to run. That being said my shortcut since I did not see much build up of anything in my clock was to take some zippo fluid and clean it by squirting a small amount into the mechinism then blowing it out with one of those computer air cans. Waited a few minutes for it to dry. The zippo fluid contains naphtha so it cleans old oil off well and doesn't leave a residue (Don't get any on the face as it might discolor it). Then I used some clock oil and I used my watch oiler to oil it. If you don't have one try a long sewing needle. It has run well and kept good time since. Watch/clock oil is cheap and easy to come by online or from your local clock repair shop/jeweler. I hope this helps.

#5 ·
Dash Clock power source

HI folks:

New to the forum. I have a 57 dash clock but do NOT know which post on the back is for the power (red) wire. There are two threaded posts for the bracket, on round post that looks like a push pin with a red hard plastic washer at its base adn another very small nut on a threaded post that conncects a metal "tongue that attaches to the case with what looks to be a small rivet. Confused? Welcome to my world. The clock did run erratically, but now that I took it off, cleaned the inside, I need the info on where the wire goes. I did get a spark when taking it off so perhaps I blew a fuse. The two lights do not work either. HELP>

Dr. Z

#6 ·
Dr Z...The "metal tongue" that you described should be your +12V connection....However, you can verify all your connections with a multi-meter.

Excellent advice above on clock repair....Also Bob (57Viper) has a tech article on it... http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20204

#7 ·
CLock power

HI:

WOW. Thanks for the info. I did blow the fuse for the clock and dome light. Mea Culpa. I will test to see if I get power to the clock. It is amazingly clean inside and I put a small amount of lubricant on some of the gearing I saw. Fingers are crossed. Thanks.

Dr. Z

#8 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have been reading the advice on the 57 clocks and I have a question. I have a orginal clock that I took out of my 210 and after checking with someone to repair it I decided to buy one from Danchuk. It came the other day but did not have any instructions in the box on how to wire it. I have been putting an American auto wire kit in and I'm at the wiring the clock in. Can anyone help on wiring this, there is only one lead from AAW other then the lights for it. The clock I ordered is a 42 E 12730 I don't know where to connect the wire. Thanks for any help. Sheff

#9 ·
I just fitted one of these to our 57 4dr hardtop, and it was not as easy as I expected. At first it did not even fit the hole size, so I had to file the dash trim edges to clear, I even had to remove the clock casing and countersunk the screw holes more so the bezel screws would not foul the dash. Once the casing was refitted and clearance made, it was easy to mount, the clamp works like the original with 2 nuts clamping the clock to the dash. The instrument lighting goes into the 2 holes provided and the wire terminal clips onto the brass knob as per the original.

#12 ·
I know the clocks are different, but does the great clock info posted on this thread apply to the workings of a 56 Bel Air dash clock as far as how it operates and is wired? Have not taken it out since it seems to have a mind of its own and works periodically and I don't want to destroy it completely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.