Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Suggestions to make nats better.

15K views 157 replies 63 participants last post by  usmcnam 
#1 ·
More picnic tables through out the park.More garbage cans and a clean up crew.I will volunteer!

#46 ·
There was a very large tent with a couple of very large fans, and free complimentary ice cold spring water in coolers from Golden star, and numerous tables with chairs. (Thank you Golden star). I;m not sure how anyone could have missed it.
I walked my legs off both days and never seen it, must have looked the wrong direction when I went by it :sign0020:

#47 ·
x2 , golf carts are too big for a crowded show and also driven too fast by reckless people who are so self absorbed they constantly run into people

scooters would be much better and to those with disability (proof needed) only

#54 ·
Even if we don't want to admit it, this is a geezer's event. So there should be some first aid/EMTs available other than for the drag strip. Also several places where one can get some shade and a cold water. Seems to me that it would be a welcome addition, and if they had to raise prices by $5/day, the expense could be covered. Maybe they were already there, just needed to be made known.

The golf carts are going to be rented by those wiling to spend the money, not who needs them. Restricting them to those with handicaps and disabilities is too restrictive though - there's lots of attendees who aren't "officially" disabled but can't/shouldn't walk the whole grounds with the August weather at Beech Bend. Maybe a way of policing them would work, though there would always be someone mad about it. Perhaps better the golf cart drivers to be irritated than the pedestrians. Maybe make some areas "off limits" to the carts - make them park, get off and walk a short distance unless they are handicapped.

#55 · (Edited)
The shuttle was running just like last year. The dance was at the Sloan center Friday night like last year. Music was by a different band, this year it was a beach boys cover band. They were very good and the music was terrific. Not sure how you missed that.

The hospitality tent was centrally located, with fans and bottles of water, iced in the cooler (I made any number of ice runs for Chris Sondles to help keep the water cold, especially on friday) so I know water was available. A full pallet and iced cooler at the hospitality tent and another full pallet and an iced cooler at the Woody's hot Rodz tent, all of it was no charge, sponsored by golden star.

#59 · (Edited)
That is not exactly true about the awards. I received one, very unexpectedly, at the 2016 trifive nationals. It was sponsored by Larry Frees who had the restored Mr. Chevy Gasser. Believe me when I tell you, my car is not show worthy in any way shape or form. Body work by me when I was 17 years old (I am 56 now). Seams not straight, decades old mismatching lacquer paint, peeling roof paint from when my dad owned the car, velour seat covers from 1980 (hey, no laughing, that was the thing back then), and a six cylinder motor.

Larry thought the car was cool, so he gave me his award. I was caught completely off guard. There I was in my very very less then perfect car, among all of the other really nice builds. So you just never know, it all depends on the parameters of the award and who is making it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car

#60 ·
That is not exactly true about the awards. I received one, very unexpectedly, at the 2016 trifive nationals. It was sponsored by Larry Frees who had the restored Mr. Chevy Gasser. Believe me when I tell you, my car is not show worthy in any way shape or form. Body work by me when I was 17 years old (I am 56 now). Seams not straight, decades old mismatching lacquer paint, peeling roof paint from when my dad owned the car, velour seat covers from 1980 (hey, no laughing, that was the thing back then), and a six cylinder motor.

Larry thought the car was cool, so he gave me his award. I was caught completely off guard. There I was in my very very less then perfect car, among all of the other really nice builds. So you just never know, it all depends on the parameters of the award and who is making it.

View attachment 156406
None of my cars are perfect and I like it that way.

#72 · (Edited)
I used the Horn (when all i really wanted to use was the CHROME horn) on MULTIPLE occasions for inconsiderate people who would actually JUST park there cart in the middle of the road and actually leave it unattended while they were checking out Tr-Fives to and from the race track

Of-course Logan offered on multiple occasion to go move the carts for me, which i am sure if i would have said yes, it would have been the last time we would have seen HIM or THE GOLF CART :sign0020:

#67 ·
as long as there is demand and or the park or whomever get's a vendor's fee or a percentage of sales from the cart vendor; they will not go away. Pit carts could simply be allowed in the pit area only. No handicapped placard; no cart. That of course leaves out the above mentioned who are easily fatigued etc. All things considered, I see the carts remaining.

#69 ·
I was not looking for accessible facilities myself but I am fairly certain the permanent rest room building, as opposed to the portable units, has accessible facilities. I can't imagine it wouldn't in that It's an NHRA facility that hosts national and regional events.

#71 ·
I have to agree with Rick about the Beach Bend location being like Mecca to me and some of the others. Heck John and Mel have made it there every year from California so I know its important to them too. Would I like it to be closer, sure but I think if it was closer it would be less important to those that make the commitment to go, its not a car show but an adventure for us. I'm glad Rick has the Nomad now so we can get 5 of us in there for the next trip:sign0020:

#74 · (Edited)
The overuse of golf carts at the BG Nationals is a serious problem for many reasons. Please restrict their use to those in need. Able bodied people should drink more water and WALK. Challenge yourself, not only will you enjoy the show, interact with more people, but you'll also improve your health.

America is overweight and unhealthy, drop the golf cart keys and buy some new tennis shoes.

#76 ·
Suggested improvements

I have thought about some of the comments posted, and would like to suggest a couple of ideas. With regard to emergency medical care, Renting a couple of air conditioned office trailers for the event placed in several locations ,clearly marked would help. EMTs would need to be on hand for staffing. If you have ever attended the Carlisle shows, they run a tram that makes repeated trips around the facility. This could possibly reduce the use of the golf carts(?). I think a detailed map should be given to every attendee, so they can find med assistance, hospitality, etc. Finally, all staffing personnel should be familiar with available resources, and how to proceed in an emergency Just my opinion. If you think about the pedestrian/ golf cart issue, the roadways are by nature vehicle pathways, and pedestrians should yield to vehicles(?). If a cart leaves the pavement, peds have right of way (not looking to pick a fight here). Whatever is decided on this should be stated in a handout for every attendee.

#77 ·
You make a few good points regarding the need for better emergency services.

Regarding Education/Information:

My wife and I volunteered nearly 4 hours of our time in the TRI5 tent, and during that time there were several questions asked for which no one had SOLID answers. General questions that could/should have been answered with a little education. That said, I recommend a detailed FAQ (flyers) that covers typically asked questions about the event and maps that reflect the location of services from emergency stations to bathrooms. Volunteers should be armed with the information needed to make members, current or perspective, feel welcomed and informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#78 ·
First the TriFive.com tent is there just to invite people to join Trifive.com and help members meet each other at the event. Because it was in such a prominent location it seemed to become an information tent for the event. While I was there I directed folks to most of what they were looking for, some things about specific vendors I did not know about. If Otis would like to make the TriFive.com booth a general info booth I am sure the management would welcome that and Otis can set it up and train the staff there.

Regarding providing information there were printed color flyers with a schedule of events and a map of the layout that were provided to anyone that wanted them, you just had to pick it up at check in and look at it to see where to go.

I have found that no matter how much written info you provide only a small percent will read it or have it with them when needed, and this appears to be the case again with this event, it's just human nature.

There was a staff meeting held on Wednesday evening where all aspects of the event were covered and managing staff was introduced. Procedures for the event were gone over including medical needs.

Regarding the first aid/medical tent it does need to be there and hopefully will be next year. With the almost impossible cell phone service there at Beech Bend you could not count on calling for medical assistance.

#81 ·
I wonder if any of the cell phone carriers have a portable tower that can be set up in a "remote" site like Beech Bend for major events?

Even in town it was poor service for my AT&T service so not sure a tower would even help, probably pretty pricey too. Adding wifi to the area would be easy enough for the owner and since most modern phones can use wifi for cell service it would sure help. I'm sure the vendors would appreciate it as well so they can run their sales that way rather than the old write it down as many had to do.

#83 ·
My AT&T carrier worked great in Bowling Green, and at the car show EARLY Friday & Saturday morning, but once the mass crowds showed up, it was all but USLESS. I could be wrong here, but just like the 2015 show, once the major crowds showe'd up, I am assuming the towers just got overloaded with calls. :(

#90 ·
Cell coverage

I was trying to find someone at the show, and called his cell. He told me where he was, and we kept talking as I walked to his location, walking down the main road towards the amusement park. As I neared him I lost signal. I have AT&T cell provider. When I walked away from him, coverage returned.

#92 ·
I've had plenty of problems at major events with AT&T service being nonexistent or intermittent. Crap, I sometimes have that problem at home in a major metro area, as do others I communicate with, not in the same location. On the other hand, at other events the phone works great, and I suspect that at those some portable cell towers are brought in, or wifi. (Not up on the tech, except to know it's sometimes bad but can be good.) Your own phone can make a difference too - good or bad. I used to think my phone was no good (pre self blow up Samsung) - but I've stood right beside people with I phones that worked the same way. Other days theirs were better.

Don't know the answer, except to say that park is in a low elevation hole and lots of people.

#93 ·
Golf carts

I want to say thank goodness for golf carts. Many of you probably saw my wife and I on one and thought why. We are in our mid 40's. Well she has MS and CIDP and without the cart we wouldn't have been able to come. I also gave rides to several people having trouble walking and a few who bought heavy parts.

#94 ·
I want to say thank goodness for golf carts. Many of you probably saw my wife and I on one and thought why. We are in our mid 40's. Well she has MS and CIDP and without the cart we wouldn't have been able to come. I also gave rides to several people having trouble walking and a few who bought heavy parts.

Henry, I agree that those with special needs should have access to a motorized vehicle if available. No one here can or should argue that point. I'm glad you made it and God Bless.

#95 ·
The smaller 'scooters' would be more appropriate for people with disabilities; I noted many of them being used and they weren't a problem. But..the golf carts are just TOO large for such an event as this with small narrow lanes for both cars and pedestrians... throw in the golf carts and it's TOO MUCH... :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.