Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Attempted Break In

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  angs1957 
#1 ·
Some lowlife tried getting into my workshop either Sunday or Monday night. Deadbolt stopped them but door and hand set are buggered. Wondering if they know whats in there, its at the back of the yard far from the street.

Now I don't trust leaving my stuff there so have to find a way to fit the Chevy and Merc in my already full shop at home. Plus a complete shop's worth of tools that's there.

Plus the fact that all my company tools and equipment are there. I have no sentimental attachment to a skidsteer or table saw but I need that stuff daily. Mostly I am now really uncomfortable leaving my cars there. Unfortunately the Chevy is probably a couple months away from being ready to move.

Sometimes I hate people.

#2 ·
Joe, It's easy to hate "some" people, especially when they hurt or take something from someone else. I absolutely have no sympathy for people like that. Run a hot wire over a pan of water; that'll get their attention!!!

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thieves. Should be hard labor or some other unsavory punishment. They use to shoot horse thieves didn't they?

Double up on the security measures. See if you can find even a non-working outdoor video camera and mount it high and put a warning sign up re same. A real one would be even better. You also need one of those new fangled things that sends you a text alert if a window or door is opened. Also a motion detector with the same capability would be helpful.

#6 ·
How far is the shop? Have wifi? Can get Smart cam 99 bucks Put it in and it will alert you when motion and can see what is going on.
Or can get full blown alarm system, and professional cam system

I used two smart cams for kitchen and garage and third for living room.
Since had a home intrusion. Put serpentine wire on the back fence, installed alarm system and Professional cam system for out side, install auto lights all around the house. Put cable locks versus regular locks on the gates, they cut the padlocks like butter, cable is harder to get through.
Have video cam signs and alarm signs Every caliber of handgun made, and hand guns to go with them , ccw for wife and I. 5 thousand rounds of ammo, the next time it happens stuff will happen.
Feel like I have been raped , the tweeker went through everything , every drawer, every room. Was wearing my clothes when he ran into the woods layed on bed ate and drank my beer. Plus a list of other things that will take up too much space.

#9 ·
I live a short drive away from the shop. Got the guns, but I'm not interested in taking a life over possessions (not even the Chevy haha). I'm not trained in defense or combat so there's always the risk of a bad guy taking my gun from me too.

I'm working on what I'm going to do to beef up security in the meantime, the wifi cam is a good idea, I was also thinking about throwing up a couple trail cams in and out of the shop. Won't stop em but may just help id the bastids if it happens again.

Thanks for letting me vent.

#10 ·
They work hard to try and steal. If they would apply themselves to a job as hard as they try to get something for free we would be ok. No, there are always some to take their place. New crop so to speak.MIke

#14 ·
Unfortunately I can't take care of it tonight but tomorrow morning I'm going to weld a solid strip of flat bar down the strike edge of the door that laps the frame to protect from prying. The steel door and frame combined with the deadbolt probably stopped whoever it was but it could use some beefing up.

#17 ·
We have a utility pole 25' in front of the house, some kids used to do donuts around it & of course digging up the yard. One night the wife was up wondering why the cat was carrying on. Didn't have to wait long donut time, she got the plate called the cops. The judge let them off(tender age). After that I put 2 2x10's 8' long full of nails out at nite, never happened again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.