Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

LS with a single turbo

15K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  quikdime 
#1 ·
Putting the finishing touches on this build. Hoping to finish up tuning tomorrow and build a little boost! Now on to getting this thing to hook up. Mini tub is done need a loan for a set of Forgeline’s.

Attachments

See less See more
#19 ·
Well the rain stopped the tuning but before it started raining I can tell you on 8lbs of boost it had zero lag and was unbelievable. Unfortunately I might not be able to report back until Friday. My poor dad was blown away with the power and might scrap his ctsv supercharger plan.

#20 · (Edited)
That's just bad ass! Did you use the cast iron Hooker turbo exhaust manifolds?

How you gonna close your hood?

Also...you should think about feeding it some E85! I switched from gas to E85 on my modified Syclone (runs 23psi with a 63mm turbo) and it is just a beast with no pinging or anything! A fellow here in town with a shiny new C7 thought his car was fast from the light...not so much ;)

#21 ·
That's just bad ass! Did you use the cast iron Hooker turbo exhaust manifolds?

How you gonna close your hood?

Also...you should think about feeding it some E85! I switched from gas to E85 on my modified Syclone (runs 23psi with a 63mm turbo) and it is just a beast with no pinging or anything! A fellow here in town with a shiny new C7 thought his car was fast from the light...not so much
Yes on the Hooker set up. The hood shuts no problem no modifications. The guy that plumbed the turbo doesn’t like the stock radiator but I think it makes it cooler. Unfortunately E85 isn’t a big thing around me. Only one station has it and it’s not close. This thing is going to hurt some people’s feelings. There’s very little lag and built unbelievable power.
To be honest I might sell the thing.

#22 ·
That's so awesome...I really like turbo cars, but you don't see too many tri-fives with them. It's pretty unbelievable what kind of power you can make with them! And yes, you will likely hurt a lot of people's feelings :)

Seems like the Hooker turbo manifolds fit the tri-five well then? What steering box are you running? Single 3" exhaust?

I kinda wish I'd gone with an LS in my '56, but that ship has sailed and I'm going to stick with the 420ci SBC for a while. It's not exactly slow, but my Syclone would blow its doors off (at least one the street, but I don't have a local drag strip anyhow). The torque a turbo motor makes is nuts!

I've been thinking about trying this same manifold/crossover setup with either a 4.8 or 5.3 LS motor on my '72 Camaro as it were.

What engine are you running?

#23 ·
Running the 500 steering box and the Hooker set up clears the steering box better than the Doug LS headers i had on the car. Has single 3 's exhaust . Engine is a Lq9. I only had room for a smaller turbo and I'm glad that's all the room I had. A lot of guys think you need / want a huge turbo like an 88MM. Those things have a lot of lag.

I always liked those Syclone's. That 4.3 worked good in those S-10. Couldn't imagine the power a turbo makes on them.

Your right you don't see many turbo's on a tri five and that's why I wanted to do. Honestly got tired of looking at connect and cruise packages in these cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.