Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Driver's side alternator bracket with Vintage Air

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  JimI 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to order the complete Vintage Air kit that includes the compressor. It's my understanding that it includes the compressor bracket (based on engine/water pump details that I provide to them).

I talked to VA and they said the bracket I will get places the compressor on the passender side. So I want to put my alternator on the driver's side up top since I have power steering. They gave me a Vintage Air P/N for the alternator bracket. Any opinions on if I should get the VA alt bracket or go with something like the Alan Grove Components? The look very similary but the AG is a little less expensive but only by a few dollars.

Thanks,

#3 ·
the VA brackets are clones of the alan grove and more$$

#4 ·
Do you have a short or long water pump?...You have to stay with brackets for one or the other...Can't mix and match.

#7 ·
I am a fan of Alan Grove brackets for the component placement options. Since I moved my battery to the trunk I had room for the low placement of the A/C compressor and the alternator for (in my opinion) a more 50s traditional look. The quality of the Alan Groves are outstanding and fit is great too.

Attachments

#11 ·
Update on this. I ordered the brackets from Vintage Air at the time of ordering the system, Vintage Air uses Alan Grove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Another question on this installation. Has anyone used this specific setup on a 55/56 and experienced any clearance issues with the two hose connectors on the compressor? I don’t currently have the hood installed but it seems like the compressor is up fairly high that if the connections come out of the top of the compressor that they may be too high to clear the hood.

With that said, can the compressor be clocked in any position? If so, I can have the hoses exit out of the side. They don’t specify in the instructions but they do make reference to the oil plug so I didn’t know if that oil port has to point up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#15 ·
Another question on this installation. Has anyone used this specific setup on a 55/56 and experienced any clearance issues with the two hose connectors on the compressor? I don’t currently have the hood installed but it seems like the compressor is up fairly high that if the connections come out of the top of the compressor that they may be too high to clear the hood.

With that said, can the compressor be clocked in any position? If so, I can have the hoses exit out of the side. They don’t specify in the instructions but they do make reference to the oil plug so I didn’t know if that oil port has to point up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

My older R12 VA system requires the ports to be above horizontal.
Jim

#13 ·
I used an Alan Grove 234L for long water pump style in my 57 and it just clears the power steering pump and still able to remove cap to check.

Here is a little picture of it mocked up for now:

#14 ·
An expensive lesson learned..........
DO NOT assume that the compressor actually has the oil in it, as the label says.
We learned that's not always the case.:banghead:
The compressor lasted <10 mins into the charging process.
We now drain it, measure it, and put it back in.

#16 ·
Question. Have you figured out belt routing?

I have long water pump too with Vintage air and Alan Grove 234L drivers side bracket with PS pump. I did all the running around and figured I needed a double pulley for the PS pump to run on the inside crank, then alternator on the PS and mid crank with the water pump, and then the AC would run on the outside grooves on the water pump and crank. Buuut the AC outside groove lines up with the mid crank where the alternator needs to be.

#17 ·
I have Vintage Air in my 57. I purchased a junkyard 350 engine from an early 90's Buick with a 700R4 transmission installed for $200. I did it to get a template to put side engine mounts and a 700 R4 brace located. The idea was to replace it anyway with a crate engine and new transmission But I also got a serpentine belt setup. I had to take off the air pump and bracket . Vintage makes a kit to adapt that to a Sanden compressor for pretty cheap.
A cheaper option maybe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.