Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Fan clearance problems

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  mr55/56 
#1 ·
SBC, short h2o pump, 70’s p/s pump, stock fan blade, Borgeson p/s mount, 1 1/2” fan spacer.

My problem is with this setup my fan blade hits p/s pump w/o the fan spacer.Clearance between end of fan and hub on p/s pump is about 3/4” . Trouble is with fan spacer there zero clearance between front of fan and V8 radiator in stock position.
I’m thinking I need a a mount that positions the p/s pump lower on engine then eliminate the fan spacer. If that’s the case what p/s mount do I need to look for?
All input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jerry

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think you could move it low enough to help.

Consider moving the radiator to in front of the radiator support (6 cylinder position). Easy to do with a 55-56 with V8 radiator, you can even buy brackets for the job (or make your own). With a 57 you must use a 57 6 cylinder radiator.

#3 ·
Looks like you have a double pulley on your pump...My memory maybe a little fuzzy right now....However, I thought I had only a single on mine.

#8 ·
Hold the phone...you lost me here!
Rick are you saying to use this type pump with a 57 core support the raditator has to be out front?

As to the double pulley vs single pulley that doesn't change the relationship of the end of the fan to the end of the p/s shaft??

#9 ·
Could be Bruce....I believe there is 1 5/8" difference between the long and short pump.

#10 ·
Belt alignment is not bad, actually better than it looks in the pic.I think it will come around when the belts are on it.
But back to the radiator position, if I have to put the radiator in front of the core support can I use my current V8 rad with the conversion plates? This car is a 57, by the way......
Thanks, again....

#11 ·
Trying to move a stock 57 V8 radiator in to the six cylinder position is a can of worms that you do not want to open.

#14 ·
Holy crap.......another radiator. I never knew this little tidbit of info. Well thanks, guys. You always set me straight.
Oh, one last ?....... to fit 6 cyl radiator in a 57 core support I assume I gotta use those large
relocation plates??
Thanks to all of you!
Jerry

#16 ·
Thanks Crowbar..........yeah, I'm gonna have to ponder on this a little. This is a brand new radiator I have now. East Coast Chevy would probably work with me on an exchange for a 6 cyl radiator, but just a PITA. To use this radiator I now have I gotta somehow lose this 1 1/2" fan spacer.

Thank you for your input

#17 ·
I can't put my finger on exactly what your problem is....However, before you buy anything, I'd get more input from our members....There has to be several members on the site who are running a SBC with a P/S pump and the radiator in the V8 position (behind the bar).

#18 ·
He should get in touch with (Steve) Jalapeno. I'm thinking the P/S pump is not in the correct location, It looks too far forward to me. The pulley is clearly wrong but the pumps shaft location is an obvious issue making me think location is the issue. I have a couple customers with a P/S pump located there and a V8 radiator location but I do not have pictures or access to the vehicles at the moment.

#20 ·
#24 ·
Update to this thread...... did more research and found that the p/s mount in pics at beginning of this thread is actually for bbc motor. Ordered a Borgeson 802404 mount and single pulley and that did the trick for the p/s problem.
As for the clearance problem between fan and v8 radiator, I made some plates and relocated the radiator to 6 cyl position. That requires longer top and bottom hoses and a notch in the hood reinforcement but have ton of space now. Have a shroud but not yet installed.
Thks, for your ideas
Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.