Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Question about Vintage Air A/C Glove Compartments

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Kaiser 
#1 ·
Hello Folks,

I have a Vintage Air Gen III A/C unit in my 56, but the special glove compartment that goes with the unit is MIA. I would like to replace it but VA tech support tells me that it is obsolete and no longer available, and that the glove compartment that ships with the newer Gen IV unit is different.

Has anyone out there worked on both Gen III and IV units and can confirm that there is a significant difference between the two glove boxes? Just wondering if perhaps the Gen IV box could be used with a little tweaking.

Thanks in advance! :flag6:

#7 · (Edited)
I can appreciate that but I still want to retain a glove box.

On a couple of projects I've either modified an original box or made a new one from scratch, much in the same way they are made from the factory. I use thick poster board of about the same density (Hobby Lobby or the like will have something), cut and shape just as you might making a box out of metal, lightly score where you fold edges to overlap a seam, and staple the pieces together. That's the hardest part - I use an air stapler to shoot it into the cardboard, then hand bend the legs over from the opposite side. I had to make one from scratch on my '38 for much the same reason - the a/c unit. Rather than leave the bare cardboard surface, I lined it with a thin black felt using spray adhesive...can hardly tell it from a factory piece. I've also modified stock boxes using just the original fuzzy-lined cardboard using the same process - works pretty easy when you're downsizing it. Might be less hassle than trying to hunt down and pay for a plastic one that may or may not fit.
JR
This is definitely an option; it's what I did with my 47 Plymouth, although it took me a week and I destroyed two perfectly good factory glove boxes in the process. :sign0020:

I have a gen 4 glove box in mine and am using a gen 3 A/C unit.
Thanks John, that's great news. I was hoping you would respond as I know you have had a lot of experience with VA.

This will be my preferred option. Of course if VA wants an arm and a leg for a glove box I may have to look elsewhere..unless someone out there has a spare Gen IV glove box they would like to part with?

#4 ·
I have a gen 4 glove box in mine and am using a gen 3 A/C unit.

#5 ·
On a couple of projects I've either modified an original box or made a new one from scratch, much in the same way they are made from the factory. I use thick poster board of about the same density (Hobby Lobby or the like will have something), cut and shape just as you might making a box out of metal, lightly score where you fold edges to overlap a seam, and staple the pieces together. That's the hardest part - I use an air stapler to shoot it into the cardboard, then hand bend the legs over from the opposite side. I had to make one from scratch on my '38 for much the same reason - the a/c unit. Rather than leave the bare cardboard surface, I lined it with a thin black felt using spray adhesive...can hardly tell it from a factory piece. I've also modified stock boxes using just the original fuzzy-lined cardboard using the same process - works pretty easy when you're downsizing it. Might be less hassle than trying to hunt down and pay for a plastic one that may or may not fit.
JR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.