Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Charging AC

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Rick_L 
#1 ·
Vintage AC unit is in my 56 when I purchase the car three year ago ac blowing hot air air compressor dose not engage. Last summer I and an ac all in one sealant & charge bottle ac was charged blowing cold air a month later went back to warm air an air compressor not engaging. No it’s getting to be that time again thinking of getting this product call red Angel sealant and a good air refrigerant and good tips on the brand I should use since I don’t have any information on the vintage air unit? If this didn’t hold the charge I will take in to a AC shop just hoping it might be a seal didn’t hear any leaking noise the last time I charged it.

#2 ·
do not use stop leak products in VA systems it can ruin the expansion valve. you have a leak find and fix it. put refrigerant with a dye in and use a black light to find the leak. then repair as necessary.

#3 ·
Vintage AC unit is in my 56 when I purchase the car three year ago ac blowing hot air air compressor dose not engage. Last summer I and an ac all in one sealant & charge bottle ac was charged blowing cold air a month later went back to warm air an air compressor not engaging. No it’s getting to be that time again thinking of getting this product call red Angel sealant and a good air refrigerant and good tips on the brand I should use since I don’t have any information on the vintage air unit? If this didn’t hold the charge I will take in to a AC shop just hoping it might be a seal didn’t hear any leaking noise the last time I charged it.

If it's leaking that fast, stop leak won't fix it anyway, and a leak detector should find it.
P.S.: There's a pressure switch that opens when the pressure gets too low and keeps the compressor from engaging.

#5 ·
Ac leaks

I was chasing leaks in my vintage air for a year. Don’t use a sealer, find the leak, either a UV kit or a sniffer.
Mine turned out to be bad o- rings. The worst offenders required dropping the evaporator to get at them. Not a pleasant task, but resolved my leaks.
Dave

#8 ·
Fully charged up but without the compressor running, the pressure is around 100 psi or a little less, and that certainly is enough to be checking for leaks with a sniffer or the UV.

Of course you are dealing with a system that is leaking, and that means that pressure may not be that high. So you may have to pressurize it, or start looking for obvious leak points to fix. Like seeing if fitting are loose, or are covered with oil.

Once you find and fix the leak, you'll need to renew the drier if needed, add oil if necessary, and pull a vacuum on the system before charging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.