Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

New Radiator in the Old Buggy

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Big Bob 
#1 ·
Lately, I've had the pleasure of driving my four door around quite a bit...Why I let it sit so long over the winter months is unbeknownst to me...At first I had to get the electrical gremlins straitened out: https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218772

Once that was over, it was clear sailing for a while...Then some minor coolant leaks cropped up....One was the POS chrome thermostat housing....I tossed it in the trash in favor of a new, cast iron, Dorman unit and that little problem was solved.

Next, was the fluid that I saw at the bottom of the shroud....I narrowed that down to the radiator itself...Not a surprise, since it was an original Harrison unit, part number 3136158....That equates to a 56, 6 cylinder radiator...However, at some point, the flange had been unsoldered and reversed to the 6 cylinder position...Why, I don't know...Anyway, to compensate for that the PO had fabricated some brackets and welded them to the core support.

I wanted to return things back to original, so first I ordered a Cold Case, V8 radiator...Mounting it was kind of a pain, since modifications had been made to the core support....First I cut off the brackets...Then I had to use my Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to unblock the core support, flange holes.

Once that was done, things went along pretty smoothly. until I went to install the shroud back on...It would no longer go between the core support and the radiator flange, so I altered it slightly to go around the support...Mission accomplished :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Pops , what is on top of inner fender, in front of battery ? Dave
That is an Optima Battery Tender....Won't get lost in my garage there...I don't have to look for it , when I need it. :)

#5 ·
Kind of a shame actually....Now the radiator outshines the rest of the engine compartment....Will have to spruce it up some.

#10 ·
You's guys know me all too well...You know what they say about crazy people being a danger to themselves (and others).?

#12 ·
I have no idea why we do to ourselves what we do.

When I bought my Handyman it needed new headers because the old ones were burned out and ALL of the clutch linkage was home made out of angle iron and all thread.

Soooo, I decided to fix it.

The body has been off the frame for two years now!

Wayne

#16 ·
the cold case rad looks good there, i like the way it shows up with the core support in front of it. nice work POPS. :tu ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > you know whats coming- what you do after lunch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.