Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Derale 6 blade fan.

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  nad427 
#1 ·
Because of Pops here I ordered one of these fans the other day. It arrived today from Summit in a box about half the size of a bed mattress. LOL Anyways I pulled the fan out and checked it out. It's cool, looks well built, and looks strong. Looks like it will do a good job of moving air too.

Question though,

I have another application in mind to use one of these fans. It IS a Chevy engine application so the bolting holes will need to be the same. The thing is, is that I want this one to pull so much air that you wouldn't be able to walk around it for fear of being sucked in or blown down (exaggeration lol). I just want something that moves a lot of air. The one I got today has the pitch in the fan blades pretty shallow. The one I want for this question is going to need more pitch in it's blades.

Does anyone know of another fan, or another model of the Derale brand that has a buncha pitch? A link or part number would be great.

Thanx.

#3 ·
Thanx Bruce. The one I received turned out to be a 17" version. It's ok I guess, but is kinda puny. Looked around on the Summit site at different ones, but the pitch numbers were kinda sketchy.

I did however find a high RPM race unit that is a 20 incher instead of 17. Maybe that one will do the trick, so I ordered it Saturday.

Last night I popped the hood on my 56. I found that the flex fan on my BB is 18" with room left over. If nothing else I'll put the new 20 incher on the car and see what difference it makes if any.

The other application I mentioned is for my engine run-up stand. When breaking a cam in the engine temp will slowly creep up to the uncomfortable point before the allotted break in time period. I don't like that feeling, hence the hunt for a better fan that moves a LOT of air.

For anyone else interested here's a link right to one. The part number is 17320. if that's too big for your application a 19" version is 17319. An 18" is 17318, etc. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-17320

#5 ·
The 17" Derale fan that Bruce and I recommend moves a sufficient amount of air and will fit comfortably inside most fan shrouds....Anything larger will not.

#6 ·
There's a side story to the car application I have,

My 56 has a gravel pan under the radiator, but no side panels, no shroud, and the hood baffle was cut on and had worn out rivets. The baffle was about to fall off and looked like crud. Even so, at that time the engine would sit at idle for very long periods without any sign of overheating.

After I bought and installed a polished stainless baffle from Joe at HRD the motor temp would start rising too much if I left it at idle too long. It wasn't immediate, but would just keep rising enough to be bothersome.

I'm hoping this 20" fan will overcome all that. if it doesn't then a shroud with the 17" fan will have to be tried next.

An interesting note is that my BB would sit at idle seemingly forever without heating up before the new hood baffle, while other guys here have to go through heck trying to get their engines to stay cool enough. Can't explain THAT one.

#7 ·
Does anyone know of another fan, or another model of the Derale brand that has a buncha pitch? A link or part number would be great.

Thanx.
Don't know about blade pitch but:
If you have 5" clearance from the back of the radiator to the water pump a 87 to 93 Taurus 2 speed fan should fit it is 23x18x5" deep.

Also need a 100 amp alternator & 2 of 70 amp relays.

My junk runs on the thermostat putting around the fairgrounds with the fan on low speed. Side & hood baffles are in place to limit hot engine air recirculating through the radiator @ idle & low speed.

Good luck

#9 ·
Another good idea. It's just that I dislike the looks of electric fans plastered all over a radiator, and HATE the sound of them. When a healthy sounding motor pulls into a small show a guy just HAS to look, but when that dorky fan sound appears it just makes me want to turn my head. Just me though.

BTW,
Have you been watching any of the NASCAR stuff? I've been pulling for Jimmie Johnson to win just once more, and he darned near had one the other day. That would be cool.

#13 ·
I actually have both on there. A useless fiberglass 'fancy fan' and an electric pusher. This is mounted on a 67 Chevelle BB radiator on the stand. Even a mild SB starts heating up after 10 minutes or so even with both fans operating. The next engine to start on there is a 468 BB, and there's no way that stand as it sits is going to keep that one cool enough for a half hour full run-in.

I was hoping to find a fan that is an air pulling monster. The radiator is thick, with many tubes, and a great many tight fins. That's part of the problem I'm sure. I could maybe get a different radiator that would flow better, but the whole setup is sorta built around that one. Wouldn't be an easy change either. That type of radiator has flanges on it that made it have easy points to attach mounting and bracing points to.

I've tried in the past to find just the right size shroud I could maybe employ, but there's about a million different ones. Got frustrated with that search, but will probably have to dig deeper yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.