Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Top Radiator Hose for Big Block

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Lanceolet 
#1 ·
I have looked through many posts, but I haven't found the exact answer. I have a '57 with an original 6-cylinder radiator support, with a new Cold Case mounted in front of it. I put a big block in it. I can find a bottom hose, but because I have the offset for the hood brace, I can't seem to find an upper hose for my application. All of the ones that I have looked at have disclaimers, "not for radiator with offset outlet". Anyone know a hose that will fit?

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

See less See more
#2 ·
Does your thermostat housing point straight ahead or off to the driver's side?

#3 ·
I have looked through many posts, but I haven't found the exact answer. I have a '57 with an original 6-cylinder radiator support, with a new Cold Case mounted in front of it. I put a big block in it. I can find a bottom hose, but because I have the offset for the hood brace, I can't seem to find an upper hose for my application. All of the ones that I have looked at have disclaimers, "not for radiator with offset outlet". Anyone know a hose that will fit?
If no one offers up a p/n for your specific situation. I'd head for a Brick & Mortar NAPA. Before you go take some measurements so you what what to look for. That's what I did when I put a 454 in my '55 before all the online help and kits to perform a swap where available.

#4 ·
Along those same lines:

Bend a coat hanger to the shape and length you need and take to your parts store. They can get you close. :)
Mark

#8 ·
The BB in my 56 has a straight neck on it, and it looks like the radiator inlet is just a little bit further to the drivers side than yours is.

The upper I have is a pre-bent hose that fits mine pretty good. I'd almost bet you could persuade it to work on yours though if you simply changed that thermo neck to a straight model. When I get some time I'll look around on the hose to see if I can find a brand and/or number stamp on it.

P.S.
I've never had any luck with those swivel necks. There's always been some sort of leak or seep that's caused aggravation.

#10 ·
OK, went out popped the hood and took a close look. Found a number stamped in the hose in two locations. Best I can tell (and even with a magnifying glass it was hard to read) the number is 023B6AG. Haven't found a name brand yet though.

I then spent far too long looking all over the net for that number, but nothing positive has popped up yet. Wish I could at least show you a pic of it and how it fits my setup but I still haven't been able to get my laptop to accept data from either my digital camera nor my smart phone. Frustrating to say the least, sorry.

It's got me so curious now that I'm tempted to pull the hose all the way off and look it over even closer so I can record the info for my own later needs. If (WHEN) I do I'll report back here with any additional findings.

#11 ·
if you use a forward pointing neck lik a small block uses the small block stock hose works just fine.

#12 ·
That would be a Dayco part# 70344 for a 57 V8 with the radiator in the six cylinder position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.