Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Upper radiator host port location

3K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  Pops @ Tri-5.com 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello
I am trying to upgrade my radiator that has been in my car for a long time.
I bought an aluminum replacement. I thought when I line it up it was close to the support bar.My radiator hose may not fit on. I laid them next to each other lining up the mounting holes and it seems my original one hose port is about 3/4 of an inch higher up. Is that how all of these radiators are now or did I get one that was not correct?

This is for a 55
Thanks

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello
I am trying to upgrade my radiator that has been in my car for a long time.
I bought an aluminum replacement. I thought when I line it up it was close to the support bar.My radiator host may not fit on. I laid them next to each other lining up the mounting holes and it seems my original one hose port is about 3/4 of an inch higher up. Is that how all of these radiators are now or did I get one that was not correct?

This is for a 55
Thanks

Brian
I would think as long as the mounting holes line up properly & the upper outlet is above the radiator top bar with enough clearance for the hose & clamp you should be good to go

#4 ·
Not sure if this helps....But, this is my 55 with that same radiator....I see you have a six cylinder radiator...Do you have a six cylinder core support or are you using the relocation brackets?

(Rotated your pics for ya)

#5 ·
if that's the case you could mark & drill another set of holes in the core support just above the existing ones to gain enough clearance just check that the tank & everything else doesn't interfere i had to do that mine was original v8 rather than get a 6 cyl core support I flipped the bottom section of the core support to the 6 cyl position then had to drill a new set of mounting holes to fit the radiator All you need is to raise the radiator a little to clear the top bar

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
i looked at mine today my aluminum radiator looks like your original with the top outlet higher than your CC shows also i was wrong i actually relocated the holes in the core support lower so the radiator sets lower but only about 1/2" the hose just clears by maybe 1/8 to the upper bar looks like it would have fit the original mounting holes ok i don't really remember why i repositioned it but that was 3 years ago good luck you may be able to raise yours as i suggested earlier just make sure the rest of the radiator has clearance Have you contacted CC to say what they're thoughts are

#11 ·
#14 ·
Not sure how you can call it their design....I've bought both a 55 V8 and six cylinder position radiator....They both fit fine....Be glad to take some more pics of the six cylinder install, if you need me to.

#15 ·
Not sure how you can call it their design....I've bought both a 55 V8 and six cylinder position radiator....They both fit fine.

Their design the hole is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch lower than my current stock style. Also if you look at others like griffin the port is closer to the top. I use chrome covers and I do not think it would fit My clamp screws go on the bottom. Not a great photo but you can see how much height I had.

#17 ·
What is the Harrison number on your stock radiator?

#19 ·
I can see that on your original tank that the top hose fitting is higher....Also, could you use the Cold Case vertical slots to get the radiator where you need it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.