Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Vintage Air Gen II mode selector

14K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  chase 
#1 ·
I just installed Vintage Air Gen 2 ac in my 57 convert using Streamline Gen 2 control panel.
Fan speeds work fine however I can not get the mode selector to change from, floor, vent, defrost. No matter what mode I select it just blows mainly from the defrost vents with a little air coming through the vents and floor.
I followed all the wiring diagrams and grounds.
Using a multi meter we got 12 volts going to the control module but 3 volts coming out. I am leaning towards it being a faulty control module.
Vintage air sells a replacement part # 11209-vus. Am I going down the right path? I don’t want to take the unit out if I don’t have to. The factory module looks like it’s plastic welded to the case, if I replace it how does the old one come off.
I need to get this fixed ASAP, planning to put nitrogen it the system today to leak check it.

#2 ·
I just installed Vintage Air Gen 2 ac in my 57 convert using Streamline Gen 2 control panel.
Fan speeds work fine however I can not get the mode selector to change from, floor, vent, defrost. No matter what mode I select it just blows mainly from the defrost vents with a little air coming through the vents and floor.
I followed all the wiring diagrams and grounds.
Using a multi meter we got 12 volts going to the control module but 3 volts coming out. I am leaning towards it being a faulty control module.
Vintage air sells a replacement part # 11209-vus. Am I going down the right path? I don’t want to take the unit out if I don’t have to. The factory module looks like it’s plastic welded to the case, if I replace it how does the old one come off.
I need to get this fixed ASAP, planning to put nitrogen it the system today to leak check it.
3 volts coming out where?
Does the heater servo work?
Are the servo motors plugged into the correct connectors?
If it's a new install, it should be under warranty.

#3 · (Edited)
I had this problem not long ago. Mode control switch not working, defrost airflow only. After some extensive troubleshooting my problem was in the control panel defrost mode selector slide control switch. On the under dash side of the control (where the wires plug). My unit is gen iv so I'm not sure if yours is the same type, but if yours has VA part number 112002-SUA type slide pot assembly, this is where my problem was. I ordered a new one and that fixed my issue. When I removed the one to replace it, it looked like the pins had been bent over when trying to plug the connector to the slide pot(very easy to do). You might be able to straighten the connector pins without replacing if this is your problem also. Reprogram after the fix. If .3 volts to the small wire going to the switch I believe that right.

#5 ·
Spent the day with tech support. This not a programmable system. The low voltage was from the pink wire. Anyway the control module is defective and a new one is on the way covered on warranty even though I bought the system in 2018, so that is pretty good of Vintage Air. Should have it next week. I will update after it’s switched out.

#7 ·
The pink wire should be 12 volts going into the control module. The fan switch provides 12 volts to the mode switch and control module, anytime the fan switch is on any speed. Sounds like a bad fan switch or connection on the A/C terminal of the fan switch.

#6 ·
:tu:tu for Vintage Air

#12 ·
So I got the new mode controller today and installed it and nothing changed, still have no control over def, heat, vent etc.
On a side note I ran the car to operating temp and the heater control valve obviously is opening either, no heat. Ac seems to be working although it’s not fully chartered yet.

#13 ·
Let's try trouble shooting it and trace the voltage to it's source. You mentioned that you only had 3 volts on the pink wire. You need 12 volts when the key is on and A/C fan speed switch is turned to any speed. Looking at the diagram, 12 volts going to the pink wire comes from the B (battery) terminal of the mode switch. The B terminal gets 12 volts from the fan speed switch A/C terminal (black wire). If the fan is running at different speeds, you know the fan speed switch is getting 12 volts, so the problem is a bad connection, wiring error, or the fan speed switch.

#15 ·
Had to believe but the new control module seems to be defective as well. 12v into the module but nothing coming out. Good grounds, triple checked that. Vintage air tech is stumped as well. Another module on the way, this time we are going to plug in one component at a time till we find the problem.

#16 ·
Have you tried plugging only one device in at a time, into the module. The servo , heater valve, or heater valve servo could be bad, shorting down the module. Did vintage suggest checking the devices for possible shorts, with an ohmmeter, before plugging anything in. One of the devices could be blowing the module.
Did you check the wire colors according to the diagram in each plug?

#17 ·
Yes I did. Just installed the second replacement module and the heater slide switch and now have control over all modes. So it was a combination of a faulty control module, two of them and a faulty heater slide switch. Now the heater valve won’t move, doesn’t open or close, all the values to the plug are correct so it’s definitely the heat valve.

#18 ·
Chase,

I have a Gen 4 Vintage Air system in my 56 that wasn't letting the compressor kick in, hence, no cold air. It was determined the ECU was bad and V.A. agreed so they sent a replacement at no charge even though the warranty had expired.

After the replacement ECU was installed, I had cold air, but like yours only came out of the defrosters and couldn't get it to work in the other vents. A third module was installed and corrected that problem.

I don't know if V.A,'s ECU's are as reliable as they should be since it took 3 different modules before the problems were finally corrected.
Maybe Vintage Air realizes that and could be why they were willing to replace the module at no charge even after the warranty was gone, I don't know.

#19 ·
Looks like I got it working. 2 faulty control modules, a faulty heater slide switch, and a faulty hot water valve. To Vintage Airs credit they covered the parts even though I bought the unit in 2018, I paid expedited shipping. Lots of trouble shooting and 3 weeks of waiting for parts, but it’s done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.